Sunday, May 28, 2006

Oh no, you have posion ivy growing in here...

Danger Will Robinson! Take my word for it...I know what posion ivy looks like. I should know, I have been spraying the stuff with Roundup for two consecutive years. It grows around the grape vines in the backyard and along the fence line behind and around certain shrubs. Cliff is super allergic to the stuff so I scope out the area...spray and warn him to stay away from the area. We don't really need to make another trip to the emergency room because he isn't paying attention and starts pulling weeds.

So anyway, I was over at the Leach's today and I was invited to help them pull weeds and all the baby trees out of the yard. They get tons of baby maples and there were even a few locust and elm trees. Anyway, they have a large lot and they have a thick over growth on the side of the house along the property line. I found some huge trees growing in that patch and was holding the branches underneath out of the way so Jim could dig up some of the trees that we couldn't pull by hand. I have on my FAVORITE shoes and I am looking at the ground when I realize that I am standing next to some posion ivy. It was almost touching my ankle. SOOOO, I moved and said, "Uh, Jim, we have a problem here. You have posion ivy in here." Jim said, "WHAT! Where?" I pointed to it and he said, no, I don't think tha tis posion ivy its just some vine. " I stressed that he was wrong and that it WAS indeed posion ivy. I then pointed out a bunch more and he took a closer look and finally agreed with me. At that point I got the hell out of the bushes because I didn't need to rub up against the stuff with my bare legs...plus those shoes have holes on the top. I went and told Jean what I found and she made me show here what I was talking about because she didn't know what it looked like. Crisis deverted!

On a side note, Katie was downstairs typing away on facebook to Dartmouth Matt...not to be confused with the several Franklin and Marshall Matt's or Conn/Dude Ranch Matt. She mentioned me. He knew that I had been over the night before too...anyway, Katie told him that I was invited to come over and help them do weeding. She said, "She likes us so much...she actually showed." He thought that was pretty funny. The crazy Leachs are my East coast family...so you show up and pull weeds....that is the way it goes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY! Danger Will Robinson! You stole that one from me missy...anyways, I think we have discovered yet another of your super powers: can identify poison ivy from fifty feet away.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had one heck of a day. I found some poison ivy where we mow for this lady and she pointed it out to me. I had never seen it before. Now I have and I ran in the other direction. Hope you sunday gets better.

Netter said...

Ranie, I did not steal that catch phrase from you...I have said that for years, I stole it from Lost in Space...sheesh! Ask My Mom, she has heard me use that before. Nice try though!

Kimberly said...

Now, I have never gotten into poison ivy, but I sure have gotten into some poison oak! Itchy!! There is tons of poison oak on the coasts and in the lower mountains. I think I even read somewhere that poison oak was one of California's most abundant native plant species. Figures!