Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Beach Club here I come!


I love the beach, the beach likes me too...but the SUN that shines at the beach, well...it has it out for me. I am fair skinned. I have to face that fact. I burn easily, and I may not look burnt when I leave the beach but give me a few hours after I leave...whew, I start looking like a lobster. The last time I went to the beach with the girls, I spent most of my time in the shade of the cabana which is nowhere near the reflextion of the ocean or the pool. I was coated several times with sunblock too, that's a given. Their Grandma was trying to get me to sit next to her in the sun. I told her I couldn't, I'd fry and she said to put on a little sunblock, I'd be OK. I told her very nicely that there was no way I was going to sit in the direct sunlight. She thought I was a little nutty but she went along with it. I took the girls to the playground for a little bit and discovered they had a nice shady area for me and then we went to the pool for a half an hour. There wasn't any shade at the pool but I had put on a fresh coat of sunblock and half the time I sat with a towel over my shoulders and arms. Their Grandma really thought I was out of my friggin mind. Well, the following day when she stopped by to visit, she UNDERSTOOD why I was so insistent that I stay out of the sun. She was confused at first because she left the beach just before we did...and I looked fine then. I explained that I often have a delayed reaction and that a few hours after I'm home and showered, the red comes out in full force. I can not worship the sun. It's really kind of a sad thing, because I love to be outside, especially around water...which is the kiss of death. I think the only people that enjoyed my sunburn were the girls...they loved squeezing my burnt arms. They are really lucky that I allowed them to live. Anyway, I would love to take a little trip down to the beach later this week...bring some ice tea and a barrel of 70+ sunblock and sit in the shade of the cabana while the girls run around and play in the sand. It's been hot here and its always cooler at the beach. Cross your fingers for me...I don't want to look like a lobster again.

No comments: