Monday, March 30, 2009

Just one of those weekends.

You know how days start out and end up leading in a direction you didn't see coming. Yeah, that was my Sat. I was going to go for a walk at the Planting Fields and read a book...but stopped by the Leach house to grab the books for my cousins and ended up helping Jean take their brass bed apart and putting together another bed frame, taking the new one apart again because it was defective. We returned it then swapped it out for another one, took it home and put it together. Jean then sent me downstairs to watch TV while she finished the little bit of painting she had left. Her room looks lovely so far. I can't wait to see it completely put together. Anyway Jim came home, we ate supper and watch some TV and then I headed home.

Sunday was a little different. Please note: I didn't even have to bribe her to stand in front of that scribble scrable. I just thought it was funny and anyway, everyone who knows Raine, knows that she is FAR from stupid. I guess that's why it seem funny to me.
I spent the day with Raine. ( The second time in two weeks...!!I love it when that happens!! We went to brunch at Craftbar. If you watch Top Chef, you'll know all about Chef Tom Colicchio and his restaurants. Well, I wouldn't say I had a great meal. It was a bit of a let down actual. I ordered off the brunch menu and got the House Cured Salmon with Country Bread and Crème Frâiche. Though the bread was good, it was really burnt on the top and side. I'm not sure why I didn't say something and have it sent back but I'm always afraid that they'll spit on or drop my replacement. The salmon was good after the second or third bite. The first one grossed me out because it tasted very fishy, but it was fine after that. They were out of cinnamon rolls as well but that's OK, we made up for it with a great treat later.We went to the Brooklyn Flea market. Another disappointment. I guess I'm just used to the Chelsea flea Markets...but then again, perhaps its better during the warmer months when the can hold it outside. Who knows. Oh and our special sweet treat of the day? We went to the Brooklyn Jacques Torres Chocolate shop and had a Hot Chocolate to go with a yummy Chocolate Chip Cookie. I'd say the highlights of the day were spending time with Raine and that eating that cookie.
So Raine and I strolled around Brooklyn a little bit and took in the sights from the riverside. It was a misty,foggy day so it made Manhattan look much smaller than normal. That really isn't something that is easy to do, since Manhattan always seems to have a bigger than life feel.
The Statue of Liberty looked so far away but even though the fog, you could see Miss Liberty, standing as she has for many years, welcoming ships.
The South Street Seaport looked just as busy as always. This was a different view for me. I'm usually at the Seaport looking across toward Brooklyn. I've watched several firework displays above the river from the top deck of Pier 17.
Ah yes, it was a good day indeed. I went somewhere I'd never been and spent some time with a good friend. Does life get any better than that? I don't think so.

3 comments:

Rockstar Mom said...

I love your pictures! I would love to visit NYC one day. I am just afraid of death by random mugging.

Rain said...

I love your pics too!! It was very nice to see you...I wish I weren't feeling so icky then I would have been better company. My favorite part was the guy who told me: "Button your jacket..." when I looked at him as if to say IT IS BUTTONED he said, "No, button it the right way." Ha. Thanks random man. I would have laughed harder if I weren't worried my hacking cough would make me keel over right there.

Netter said...

Marianne...I've strolled around NYC by myself and odd times of the day and night and have never been mugged, so I think its pretty safe. You'll just have to stick with me.

Raine~ I know you didn't feel well, but you were a trooper. When are we getting together again?
Oh yeah the button guy. You know, I didn't even notice that you were buttoned up funny, but sure enough, you were.