Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Is it button time yet?

I've been going through my craft supplies. I've decided to use up as much stuff as I can. I had a big box full of buttons and felt like I should do something with them. I thought about making bracelets or necklaces with them but then that seemed to boring. I needed something a little more creative. So I sorted the buttons into color groups and started making designs. It started with a simple shamrock and then a heart, moving on to a red white and blue flag shaped like a star. Then I decided to go LARGE.
It takes quite a bit of time to sew each button to the fabric. What's worse is that I have issues placing the buttons on one at a time and ending up with the shape that I want. It just seems to get wonky. Instead, I put them all on at once, stitch the buttons around the outside and pray that I don't tap or knock the hoop while I'm doing the sewing.
Believe me, I've made a mess more than once. Often it totally changes the layout of my design. Sometimes for the better, but that's a rare occurrence. I really like my snowman with his red scarf and earmuffs. I still have to come up with a strap for his earmuffs but I don't have any tiny buttons. I might just use a piece of yarn or beads.
I love my pumpkin almost as much as my snowman. Then again, I'm a sucker for a nice shaped heart. I'd do more holidays but I think I need more buttons before I attempt it. I'm almost scared to even try to make a turkey...lol. Any suggestions?

7 comments:

~Michelle~ said...

There was a super cute tutorial for button coasters I saw last week...those would be fun to make, and not so difficult to make?

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh pretty...Gimme?????? I NEED that snowman and Christmas tree for my Netter tree. I NEED THEM. Pretty please? :)

And DO NOT tell me I can make my own, you know my limits and it's cruel to taunt me like that.

Netter said...

Michelle~ Where did you see the tutorial?

Raine~ Uh, I don't think you realize how big the snowman and tree are. I'm framing it. But if you want it, I know you would give it a good home, so I'll consider giving it to you.

Oh and by the way, you really could make one. It's not that hard and you are far more crafty than you give yourself credit for. FACT!

Millie said...

The button coasters might have been the same as the ones on the link I sent you the other day...I have scads of buttons big, small, in-between and tiny, but I don't really know if I'm up to doing anything like these... One thing sure, they wouldn't look at neat as yours...

Lucy said...

I love buttons...that is awesome!

Tami said...

Very cool! I love buttons.

Anonymous said...

Cute! You always come up with the most clever ideas!