Friday, June 13, 2008

He's going to LOVE me!


Last week, Sam lost his school ID and his learners permit. He thought he dropped his little wallet thingy at school one night when he was there for an event. He searched the school, checked the lost and founds, talked to all the janitors, nothing, nada,zippo. Seriously, he looked everywhere...so he said. He even searched the van, the car and his room. He REALLY didn't want to tell his Mom that he lost something else. Yeah, the kid has been pretty pathetic about keeping track of his stuff. He's lost his tenor sax, his tennis racket, a few books. The list could go on, but I'll be kind and stop at the ID cards. He managed to get a new School ID card, no problem but getting a replacement permit is tricky when you are still in school. He has his road test next Friday, so he really needs his lisc. Next week he has a few days off so we made plans to go to the DMV...my least favorite place on Earth. He asked me to keep it on the down-low so his Mom didn't rag on him. I secretly wanted to tell her so that we could torture him for a while. You know, have her ask him to drive because she has a headache or something and then watch him come up with excuses to explain why he couldn't. I know! I have never claimed to be anything but evil.

Anyway, I had to make a dish for a potluck function at the school tonight and Sam called and asked if I could drop it off along with his concert attire, the Hollywood letters and 4 liters of orange soda. He had decided not to take the bus home because by the time he got home, he'd have to turn around and go back. OK, Fine....whatever. I went upstairs and started getting his stuff together. I took his clothes out of his closet and put them on the bed so I could put everything on the same hanger. As I'm doing that, something strange catches my eye. It's Sam's little ID holder that he thought he lost. It's stuck on his bed, near the foot, just kind of hanging out. Now, seriously, I don't know how he could have missed this every night when he went to bed. The kid doesn't have a foot board.

When I dropped all of his stuff off, Sam came walking up to the van and I said, "You are going to love me FOREVER!" He looked at me and said, "Why?" So I said, "You have to ask why?! Well, I almost don't want to tell you now." Of course, at that point, I'm holding up his little wallet thingie and his eyes about popped out of his head. He started to ask me where I found it and then he decided he didn't want to know...because he'd be pissed at himself for not finding it himself. Oh, so true!

He told me to keep it and that he obviously coulnd't be trusted with it. I told him, he'd probably be a little more careful from now on. Then again...maybe not.

2 comments:

Darlene said...

Oh God - my kids used to lose everything. I think house keys were the worst. I'm sure about 10% of this city has access to this home because we have so many keys floating around.

What did you make for potluck?

Netter said...

The only reason Sam doesn't loose his house key is because its attached to an elastic cord inside his book bag. You know, his Dad doesn't even own a key to his own house. True story...its because he'd just loose it. We have to leave doors unlocked for him or he has to use the garage door opener.

Anyway, I made a Risotto dish with chicken, broc, mushrooms, and parm cheese. For some reason Sam always signs me up for that dish. Grrr, I'd rather make meatballs or something. It's cheaper and takes less time to make, plus I can pop them in the oven and ignore them...I can't do that with Risotto.