Thursday, May 01, 2008

May Day...let's celebrate

Once upon a time, children made May baskets filled with flowers and herbs, even pieces of candy or other treats. On the morning of May 1st, the children sneakily hung them on a neighbor's door. Given as a gift of love and life, May baskets came to symbolize innocence, purity and peace. It's one of my favorite traditions. I'm sad that everyone doesn't celebrate May Day. Then there is the May Pole Dance...a dance around the May Pole continues to be the most common May Day celebration throughout Europe. Unfortunately, in America, it has barely endured the grim face of Puritanism. Thankfully, opinions change, and slowly May Day is regaining recognition as spring's rite of passage. Considered the opposite of Halloween (the festival of death), May Day brings promises of life and rebirth.

So go out side and dance around, drop some flowers off on your neighbors doorstep...and enjoy the day.

8 comments:

.:Cris:. said...

Happy May Day!

(hanging flowers and goodies)

Kissiffer said...

Or, if you are feeling really adventurous, you could have yourself a traditional, English style May Day celebration!

http://www.dreadcentral.com/img/reviews/wickermanorig1b.jpg

Happy May Day!

Renna said...

When I was a young teen, I used to gather up wildflowers and wrap them in a pretty paper doily I'd twist into a cone shape, then attach it to our front doorknob with a rubber band and ring the doorbell. I'd hide at the corner of the house and watch my mom as she opened the door. I hadn't thought of that in years!

Millie said...

I can only remember getting May baskets one time ... from Timmy L. when we lived at the south end of town.... I do remember you doing the May Pole dance at Clarinda.. and you know what, that is the only time I have actually seen it done in person.. and I think only once on tv. I sort of enjoyed the May Pole dance, watching of course..I would get dizzy trying to do it myself...

Anonymous said...

Happy May Day to you too!

The Bookworm said...

Happy May Day :)

http://yarnchick.blogspot.com/

Kare said...

Happy 4 Days After May Day!

Idaho Gal said...

Happy Birthday! I love your cake!