Friday, February 09, 2007

I'd rather be a Sea Cow

I told you it was cold. Well, its warming up now but the temp will still be under freezing today...but just barely. I was out back yesterday because I remembered how much I enjoyed the ice rings around the pilings the last time the bay started to freeze up. Only that time I could easily step on the ice and walk around with great caution. It's a salt water bay, after all and the water moves up and down with the tides. Yeah, well that means that the ice cracks so its not completely secure.
I'm not a total idiot. I wouldn't even think about stepping on this ice but a few years ago it was really super thick so at LOW tide I stepped off the dock to see if the ice would hold me. At that time the water under the ice was less than a foot deep and I didn't venture more than a few feet from the dock. I wasn't keen on the idea of standing in ice water I could never be a polar bear. Maybe a gentle Manatee of Florida....they like warm water in the winter and like to swim in to a river in North West Florida. Yep, I have been watching Animal shows again.

4 comments:

Kare said...

haha Do you watch Animal Planet, too?

Netter said...

Yeah. Its kind of funny, but I was forced to watch Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and a kid, so maybe it just rubbed off on me. I watch just about anything unless its about snakes, spiders, or monkeys...they all give me the creeps.

Millie said...

Girl, I thought you would have better sense than to stand on ice that might break through... but then again, thru unfortunate circumstances, I was forced to ride in a extend a cab pickup and ride out on the ice on the Missouri River... not a brillant move either...except I wasn't driving and I wasn't about to get out and stand in the super freezing cold and wait for those 2 idiots I was with to come back and pick me up.. after all they were drinking beer at the time... like I said that wasn't very brillant even to go with them.. but it beat sitting in a motel room all day being bored out of my mind!!!!

Netter said...

Mother! I did it at LOW TIDE...the water under the ice wasn't even 1 ft deep. I would never do it if the water was over my knees.