Sunday, October 22, 2006

Birdy go Boom...that had to hurt.

I was upstairs earlier and I noticed a funny smudge on the balcony sliding door window. I stopped and looked at it from a different angle and finally realized what it was.

You really couldn't see it that well during the day so I decided to try it later and what I got was kind of spooky looking.


The poor little guy...well, not little, it was a big bird and it hit that window hard enough to leave the a lot of feather dust on it. I'm happy to announce that the bird lived. Atleast, I couldn't find its body and it was in a place that a cat couldn't get to...so I think its safe to assume it lived to tell the other birds on the bay about its mighty battle with hurricane quality safety glass. It is kind of spooky looking...I should have saved the pictures for halloween and made up a story of a haunting by a bird. lol, nobody would have believed it anyway. Would you look at that beak! You can see the very tip of his beak...ouch!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

That is wickedly awesome!! Poor bird though!! But cool picture!!

Kare said...

That is an amazing picture! I'm going to have to show everyone this.
owch for the bird.

Netter said...

Believe it or not, but we have had several birds take a wack at our windows. It's a little upsetting when you are sitting with your back to the window, a foot a way when a bird smacks into it. Talk about jumping. In every case the birds have lived...so far.

Anonymous said...

Good LORD! WOW, I've seen birds smack some windows in my day, hell I've seen lots. Some lived, some died.

But I can safely say I've NEVER seen them leave a mark like THAT!

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! LOL Now there's a survival story to bring back to the roost!!

Netter said...

I know! Crazy, huh. That poor bird sure rang his bell.

Cindy said...

That is the begining of a horror movie. That is so creepy.

Netter said...

If you could only see it in person. If you get up close to the window you can see a lot of detail in the feather dust. You can see a nostril on the beak and even where the eye hit. It's gross and cool at the same time.

gloria said...

Hey Netter,
Very cool picture. This happens at my house a lot, though I've never gotten a photo. I have bird feeders fairly close to my big picture windows--probably not a very good idea since it makes the likelihood of one of them whacking into the glass pretty certain. But, like the one that hit yours, they survive somehow. This looks almost identical to an image that some misguided blue jay left on my window last winter. He was stunned pretty good, landed below the window and sprawled out in the snow til I thought he must be dead. So, of course, feeling slightly responsible for his whackage, what with the birdfeeders luring them in close to the windows and all, I get all suited up, mittens, hat, scarf--it was freezing--and tromp out to see if I can revive the little sucker. Snow up to my boot tops. Soon as I get within an arm's length from him, he ups and flies away. Go figure. Revenge maybe.

--gloria

Anonymous said...

Hey! Who put that window there?! Where do birds think they are going?! Anyway, that had to hurt! Owie!