Saturday, September 16, 2006

From the mouth of babes and outta the pieholes of adults...


I called my little cousin Skeeter the other day. For the record, she is 10 but she is our youngest first cousin(There is a 30 year span)...she had a birthday on Sept 6th. I wanted to see if she got the birthday present I sent her. Actually I knew the package arrived but nobody called me to let me know if she liked it and if it arrived in once piece. So, she tells me how much she liked it and how she had wanted it...and that she wanted the green scooter too. Perhaps that was a Christmas hint, hard telling with Skeeter. Anyway, we are chatting away and she asked me when Tisha was going to have the baby. We chatted about that. Then she asked me when I was coming home again. She doesn't know I'll be at the baby shower....shhhh, its a surprise, she's going to Omaha and then picking me up from the airport. Anyway, I told her I would be home for Christmas and that the baby would be there by then. Skeeter was happy to hear that and she said she told her friend she couldn't go to her birthday party in November until she found out when I was coming home. Strange, but cute. Then out of the blue she asked me if I was ever going to get married. I said, who knows....maybe someday. She said, "Good, I want you to." I asked her why and she said, "I don't know, I just do." I said, "Alrighty then, Skeeter McGee." She just giggled.
I'm trying to figure out if she heard her Mother talking about me or if she came up with that one on her own. It's really hard telling, knowing those two. I thought it was bad enough when years ago...Shannon told me I needed to have a baby....to which I replied, let me find a husband first. She told me just to get drunk and go the bar. WHAT THE! JEZ....I mean really! There hits a point in your life that you would think that adults wouldn't do this kind of stuff to you too.....but they are as bad as the kids. "When are you getting married, when are you having kids.....blah, blah, blah." No the adults are worse than the kids. Adults should know better than ask questions like that. If its going to happen, it will, if it doesn't, oh well. I mean, in a perfect world, I would have met the right guy years ago, had a couple of kids ect, ect. However reality is that it hasn't happened and I'm not upset about it. It's my life and I have a lot of great feelings about my life. A husband and a couple of kids are not a giant void that cause me to spend sleepless nights fretting over it. I've gotten the old "Tick, Tock, the old biological clock is ticking" crap, from people....many many times. It gets old. I'm already preparing myself for the onslot when I fly home for my sisters baby shower. Yep, and when I'm home at Christmas, hogging my little baby neice...or nephew, but I think its going to be a girl.....I'll get the same comments. I'm going to take a deep breath and walk away muttering, "If it will make you happy, then never." I can be nasty and annoying too.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww, Nett. *big hugs* I think it's a mixture of genuine concern and a push to conform to societal standards. You're not TRULY happy unless you're married and have kids, especially if you're a woman, you know. ;) Hang in there, hon. I came across a great website or blog that had some awesome retorts for comments like that. Not mean, yet honest and effective. Let me look around for that link.

Tami said...

Yes, adults can be pretty stupid and inconsiderate at times. Including me, I know, so let me apologize in advance. I remember when we were thinking about having a 3rd child - "But why? You already have a boy and a girl." People just like to think they have some pull in your life.

Millie said...

Like the saying.."If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands", Hey, who cares what anybody else thinks... It's your life, so live it like you want!!! I had decided, so what if I don't ever have grandkids.. It's not going to make or break my life..Just go with the flow....

Cindy said...

I HATE IT when people ask me when I was going to get married. I could have been married a few times, but the men were complete losers. So am I supposed to get married to an idiot because that is what everyone else wants me to do or am I supposed to to do what I want. Well I chose to be happy.

Anonymous said...

Aw man! That would get old! Hugs for you Nett! Your happiness with your own life puts you way ahead of many people.

Chelie said...

One of these days, just tell everyone that you went to Vegas an eloped with some guy named Pierre...see what they say then.

Netter said...

Thanks Ladies....I just needed to vent on that subject a little bit. I'm just getting ready for the onslot....blah.

Chelie~ lol, they would all freak out, because I do know a sweet, young Frenchman named Pierre.

Anonymous said...

So when are you getting Married? Just kidding. You know when your mom said she was going to be grandma I thought of you first. When some one ask you again just ask them when they are getting a divorce or haveing there baby or if they are writng a book leave out that chapter. Never say you won't get married because look at Tisha . Anything is possibble. I agree with your mom.

Desperate Housewife said...

"When are you getting married?"
"When are you having a baby?"
"When are you having another baby?"
"When are you getting remarried?"

It never stops, Netter.