Monday, July 10, 2006

It's the little things in life...

I went to a memorial service yesterday for the Mother of a woman I was in book club with. Her Mom had been quite ill for a number of months and passed away over the holiday weekend. She was an amaizing artist, very talented and worked with every type of medium you could imagine. She carved stone, she painted in oils and watercolor, she designed jewelery out of gold, silver and precious stones, she sewed and did paper crafts. She had a real eye. Well her daugher told a story that I just loved. When Roberta was 5 and her brother Rickie was 3...I think that is what she said, they here moving into a new house. Her Mother walked into the room and discovered the kids drawing on the wall with crayon. Her Mom froze in the door way, lip quivering....Roberta was scared because she knew they were going to be in trouble. Her Mom stood there for a minute, then said, "Why should you kids have all the fun!" She walked over and picked up a crayon and started to draw a picture of the cow jumping over the moon. Later her Mom painted over the drawings and they were told not to do that again...but you know, the damage was done, she knew she had to repaint that wall....so instead of flipping out, she went with the flow. I just loved that story. Roberta's parents had been married for 64 years, can you imagine. I can't imagine how hard this is for him. Her best friend also spoke at the memorial and told of their 49 year friendship...I about lost it. Time goes by so quickly,doesn't it.

7 comments:

Cindy said...

I love that story. That was an awesome thing for her mother to do. It made for a precious memory that her daughter will never forget.

Christy said...

What a heart warming story! I hope my kiddos have memories of me like that someday!
I'm excited to get a postcard from Ne bra ski....hummm.....how should I send you my address?
I'll need yours too so I can return the favor. :)

Netter said...

Yeah, well when I tried that, my parents made me scrub it off with a paper towel. Crayon does not come off with a paper towel....but I learned my lesson. Actually in their defense, Mom had just wall papered the room. Oops!

Blue Sky said...

Very heart warming. I wake up thinking this everyday, I say to myself Today, there are small moments that can become treasured memories.
Today, there are joys that can be brought to life. Today, there is love that can grow ever stronger.memories are great, And they never leave.
Prayers and condolances for family and friends.
Richard

Anonymous said...

When we redone our bsement. and tore all the old stuff out. We found all of Jeffs great Art work. on the floors and the cement walls. I had forgotten about it. I think I know why hes not an Artist to day.

Tami said...

Yes, it's amazing what kids can do when no one is watching them. Hayden proudly showed me his circles he drew on the door and the floor one day, "Look, Mommy, round and round." (Daddy was supposed to be watching him that day.)

Anonymous said...

Aww! How funny story!

Did I tell you about the time I painted my daughter's room? When took down all her taped up pictures I discovered they were hiding pencil drawings on the walls! There was at least 5 pieces of "art" hiding on her walls. LoL!! I thought it was funny as heck!