Thursday, July 13, 2006

Camp shopping, gum in the carpet, and Pizza box karate...yep, just another day.

Sam is anti shopping. This is a tough situation when you have a kid that has to get a ton of camp clothes. We went through his closet and basically nothing fits him. The only clothes that still fit are the same few garmets that I have been washing over and over for the last three weeks. We hit the shoe store and he announced on the way in that we were going to be in there for no more than 5 minutes....that included trying shoes on and purchasing them. He needed two pairs of sneakers and a pair of boots that he could use for horseback riding. Luckily there was no line so we actually left with 30 seconds to spare. Then he wouldn't take my word for it that BJ's didn't have any watches....so we had to run through the store at a break-back pace. I was actually pretty happy that we got everything that he needed in less than 2 hours.

After we got home I started marking all of his belongings for camp. I washed the extra blankets and sheets so they would smell nice for his first week at camp. I piled everything on the list up and he is almost ready to go. Now I have to pack my stuff for my trip home. I am half way done.

The guys came over to hang out tonight. I don't mind having them hang out here because they are really great boys and its fun to give them a hard time. Derek and Kevin came early and they brought keeping video game system, so they were having a great time. Eric showed up and when he took his shoes off the padding of his nike came out because it was sticking to his sock. He said he shouldn't have put that piece of gum in his shoe before going to work this morning. I said make sure it doesn't stick to anything else and I thought he took his socks off. Well, later after Eric went home to eat, I walked into the den to play pictionary with the rest of the guys and noticed, red stuff all over the carpet. At first I thought it was lint or strings. NOPE....bubble gum....OMG! Sam was freaking out and I got out the carpet cleaner and goo be gone and went to work scrubbing off the sticky mess. Kevin, Derek and Sam were all very nice and asked if they could help me. I told them that was a very nice offer but there was no sense in all of us messing with chemicals. 45 minutes later you couldn't really tell where it had been, unless you really looked. In the mean time, Sam called up Eric and told him what he had done to the off white carpet. He said, "So what do you want me to do about it? Buy new carpet?" When Sam got off the phone he said he bet Eric would tell his parents and would be calling back soon. Guess what....5 minutes later, he called back and was very apologetic and offered to pay for a professional cleaning service and if that didn't do it, new carpet. Sam told him that we were just giving him a hard time because that is what friends do and that I got it out....so not to worry about it.
After that, the pizza I ordered was delivered and the boys chowed down. Sam was cleaning up the table and put all the paper plates, napkins, and extra crusts in the box, walked to the trash and then decided to show us a trick. He turned around and said to watch the one thing he learned in Karate class...but he said Karate like Ross did on the TV show Friends. At that point, before I could warn him, he brought his knee up into the box, in an attempt to bend it in half. Ofcourse all the contents spilled out onto the floor and Derek, Kevin and I were cracking up. Sam's eyes were huge. I told him I was trying to warn him but he was to fast. He cleaned up the floor with no complaints.

I just sent them off to play mini golf so the house is going to be quiet for another half an hour. AHHHHH! Derek commented that I remain so calm when there is a huge mess, like with the gum on the carpet and the pizza on the floor. I told him, freaking out gets you no where, its a waste of energy, plus its not like anyone was hurt....life goes on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Never a dull moment! I just went through the camp thing with one kid and now have to with the other.