Monday, June 12, 2006

..but where did our blue skies go!?

Our trip to Hanover NH for Chris' College Graduation started out with a lovely blue sky, dotted with tiny rain clouds. Ofcourse those blue patches soon disappeared and we had lots, lots, LOTS of rain. It rained all night on friday, and our hotel room roof started to leak so we had to switch rooms. (The next room had a different leak issue....toilet....not a great hotel experience by far) Then it rained steadily all day on Saturday. It was cool to...very cool so the idea of eating outside at under a tent at the Frat house dinner was not a biggie on my list of things to do...but once I saw the "cleaned" frat house...I was very happy we were staying outside. The sofas in the common/meeting room smelled like beer...but that was nothing compared to the basement. Oh yes, the basement were the guys play pong. Yes, the basement that leaks water when it rains and was covered in puddles and mud....but most of all, smelled like chicken poo. How is that possible? Oh man it was bad. Honestly the only reason I went down there in the first place is to watch Chris teach his Dad how to play Pong. There was a Father/Son Pong tournament going on later and Jim was trying to see if he could play it. In the end, he didn't....and its probably a good thing, because he would have been a little overwhelmed by the amount of beer those kids can put away. Seriously...they are in another league. I could have given them a run for their money back in the early 90's...but now, I wouldn't even attempt it. 3 beers and I'm trashed. I must say that Chris did serve me a few glasses of some yummy beer. One was made with apricots...yummy, one had a lot of hops in it...not bad but there was a very dark beer that I fell in love with. I can't tell you the name but Chris is going to show me where to pick some up around here when he gets home.We had a nice time sitting around Chris' dorm, he doesn't live in the stinky frat house. Sure he said it would have been fun, but with his allergies and the issues at that frat, it would not have been a good idea. It was funny, I had to take a picture of a tired Jim and Chris relaxing...like Father, like Son...so cute.
Katie was able to spend quite a bit of time with a freshman that she met when she visited Chris a few weeks ago. He's a nice kid with wonderful manners from Wisconsin who we referred to as Weiner all weekend. His last name is Wein so it was just screaming to be changed to something a little more fun. At one point in the van on the way from the hotel to Hanover, Jean said to Katie, "..make sure you connect with Weiner... and Katies and I looked at each other, dirty minds in full bloom and cracked up laughing. Jim started laughing and we had to explain to Jean what we were laughing at. That sent us on a nice long laughing streak and Jim had to enact the 3 time rule of conduct. I think he was getting tired of hearing that his daughter should be touching Weiner....if you know what I mean. Laughter through tears is the best medicine for lack of sleep though. It perked us right up.