Monday, January 23, 2006

The Steinauer bank was robbed!? What next!


I found this article in the
Lincoln Journal Star on Friday, January 20, 2006:
When it came to robbing a bank in this one-horse town, an all-terrain vehicle was all this robber needed to make his escape.According to Nebraska State Patrol spokeswoman Deb Collins: About 12:45 p.m. Friday, a man, brandishing a pistol, walked into the Bank of Steinauer in Steinauer and demanded cash. He fled eastbound on a dark-colored ATV with an undisclosed amount of cash.The man wore dark clothes, a dark cap and gloves.Steinauer, a village of about 70, is located 65 miles southeast of Lincoln.The FBI, Pawnee County Sheriff’s Office and Nebraska State Patrol are investigating.

You know, I spent a lot of time in little Steinauer over the years. There isn't much there. A big Catholic church where a friend got married a number of years ago, a K of C Hall that most people rent out for wedding dances, the little bank and the bar. I spend most of my time in the hall or the bar...or both on the same night. When my Aunt told me the bank was robbed I about croaked. You really don't expect a bank in a little town like that to get robbed. It's kind of mind blowing. Atleast nobody got hurt and with any luck they will nail the guy that did it. I guess this means people will start locking their doors to their houses and cars.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Rumor has it that the guy got away with $4,000.00 and that the 4 wheeler was stolen.

Olivia Twist said...

Hi Nett. I commented back to you on my blog. Anyway, about the bank, that REALLY sucks. I remember back in the day, you didn't have to worry about locking your doors...you could keep them wide open and feel safe, especially in a small town such as that one. It's a SHAME that man probably changed all that for the people that live there. BASTARD!