Monday, January 23, 2006

The official drink of Nebraska?!



Ah, what could be better than a nice cold glass of Kool-Aid on a hot summer day. I loved Kool-Aid as a kid. Hey, it had sugar in it, what more could I want out of life?

I read somewhere that Kool-Aid really is the official drink of Nebraska. Why? Well, the man that invented it grew up in Nebraska and made it our powdered pal in Hastings, Nebraska. Edwin Perkins actually started out with a liquid concentrate that he called Fruit Smack. The 4 oz bottles were costly to ship and breakage was an issue so in 1927 he created away to remove the water and that is when it became known as Kool-Aid. It came in 6 delicious flavors, strawberry, cherry, lemon-lime, grape, orange, and raspberry. It sold for 10 cents a package but during the depression they lowered the price to 5 cents so that it would be more affordable and a real treat for more people. What is the wonderful thing about Kool-Aid? Well, not only can you drink it, but you can use it to dye things. Check out the colors you can get from different flavors. I've always like Cherry, grape and strawberry-lemonade. What are your favorites?

3 comments:

cityman05 said...

It is the official drink of Arkansas, too. I walked around many a year with a Kool-aid moustache. LOL.

Netter said...

Yeah, I heard that Arkansas is one of the top 5 states for Kool-Aid sales.

Kimberly said...

When I was a kid, grape was my favorite. It tasted good and it made your teeth all purple - hehe. Nowadays, I like the tropical punch - mmmmmm