Sunday, October 23, 2005

A Reply for Chelie....

In a recent comment on my blog site Chelie wrote this comment..." I've always wanted a black wedding dress anyways...and I got several people that told me at school when I picked out a wedding dress for our dream weddings that I couldn't have a white dress with black embroidery on the bodice and the bottom hem of the skirt...so why not just make it black? it was my damn "Dream wedding" " Here is my reply. Honey, it is your wedding...do what you want, don't let others tell you that you cant have what you want. If they are not footing the bill...its entirely up to you. This photo was taken 10 years ago on July 1,1995. That is my sister Tisha on her wedding day, standing over the air conditioning vent to cool off. Her dress was not what you would call traditional and in fact it is not what she really wanted at all. She also wanted a black wedding gown. Numerous In-laws flipped out over that and wanted her in a white satin gown. So, Tisha settled. She told everyone that she would have a white satin gown...but hid the fact that she was going to have black lace, beads and sequins, which our Mother beaded for her. Yes, it wasn't traditional...but if she had had an all white gown...it just wouldn't have been Tisha. Though it was not my idea of what I would want or even expect...it was Tisha. I just wish she could have had that all black dress that she always wanted. If anyone gives you crap over color, remind them that years ago when women were married on the plains...they exchanged vows in brown, black, and dark blue dresses. White was not practical in those hard times on the frontier. Most women could not afford the luxury of a dress that they only wore once. If they did have white dress, it was promptly dyed a dark color. There are no rules to weddings...it isn't bad luck to get married in a colored gown and frankly, we all know that those brides are not virgins on their wedding days....that is extremely rare these days.
So, when your friends start ranting about what you can or can't have...tell them to shove it...and if they were really your friends they would encourage you to have what you want for YOUR wedding...they can have white dresses for theirs. You tell them I said so and if they have a problem with it...give them my phone number and I will set their asses straight pronto.Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Michelle I could not imagine you in anything else but black on your wedding day

Netter said...

See, if your oldest Sister says it's OK...then screw those people that say it isn't.

Anonymous said...

Wear the black dress. My sister wore a navy blue dress to her wedding. I originally wanted to wear either orange or red but opted for the white since I had a more traditional church wedding. I did find a white dress that I liked but if I had to do it again - I'd go with COLOR.

Chelie said...

If my older sister said it wasn't ok, I would seriously tell her to screw herself. I know it's my wedding, and it just makes me all the more happier that Cindy approves. Hell, I don't care who I marry, my wedding colors are going to be black and purple, with bridesmaid dresses that are pink fading into purple towards the hem. That is the beauty of this country. You don't have to worry about what you wear on your wedding unless some religious rule denys you of that right. But I don't have to worry about that.

Cindy said...

Gee Annette I think I hear a bit of Tisha in Michelle don't you.

Netter said...

yes, you could be right.