Thursday, January 01, 2009

I'm back...and I think I brought a bug with me.

Yes, I feel like crapola. I knew I felt off when I was packing my suitcases this morning. I was dragging. I even took a nap in the car on the way to the airport. Trust me, I never give up a chance to bug the living hell out of my father by talking him to death in an enclosed space. Yet, somehow, I was able to get a little shut eye. I slept on my flights to NY too. The further I got from Nebrasky, the more my nose started to plug up. I'm sure I was snoring up a storm as well, but I don't really care. I managed to spend most of my trip germ free. That never happens. Every Christmas, I fly home to Nebrasky and come down with some form of plague. This year, it just decided to work the opposite way.

Since I'm all napped out, I can't sleep. Lucky for you, I decided to post about a few of the things that happened while I was home.

Nebraska had a lovely ice storm the night before I flew home. Lovely! Luckily Dad picked me up and I trust his driving on ice and snow. It's probably the only time I trust his skills at anything. He did several screwball things while I was home before he got on my nerves and we spent days growling at each other. The man doesn't listen, that's part of his problem. Anyway, the funniest thing he did was pour warm strawberry syrup on Mom's light grey carpet instead of his pancakes. It was probably the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. I'm sitting to his left, Rue is to his right and Mom is across from him. Mom always warms up his syrup for him because that is the way he likes it. Yeah, he's spoiled rotten. Anyway,She never screws the lid back on the jar, she just sits it on top of it. She's done this for YEARS. Anyway, Dad is a bit distracted because he's rattling on and on to Rue. He then picks up the Strawberry Syrup bottle and with his right hand turns the bottle quickly upside down and back upright. Now I saw this and noticed the white lid flew off. Then I notice how big his eyes are as he looked at the floor for several seconds before he turns to face Mom and says, "the lid came off." So I say, "Did anything spill out?" And he says, "Well, yeah." Mom says, "well, don't just sit there, clean it up." Then Dad says something silly about not knowing how to clean it up and that it was on his slippers. So, Mom jumps up, and grabs a towel, then as she is scrubbing the red sticky crap out of the carpet, she starts growling at him for being so stupid to shake the syrup...which he's never done before. Mean while, Rue is leaning over her booster seat, wide eyed, saying, "Uh oh, Papah!" I think in the future, Mom should just pour his syrup for him and cut up his pancakes, like she does for Rue.

Oh and I fell on my butt while getting my parents mail. That ice storm was pretty bad. The roads were a mess. Mom and I were headed downtown for some reason and I told her to get in the car, I'd get the mail because I didn't want her to slip on the driveway. I managed to get all the way down to the street with out falling. I could just stand stiff legged and the wind would blow me in the right direction. Anyway, I was taking tiny little steps and just as I got to the mailbox, BOOM, I slipped and landed on my elbow. Mom said she heard me saying some very choice words after I hit the ground. I hurried up and looked around to see if anyone had witnessed my graceful act. Thank goodness, nobody had. Let me tell you, not only was I covered in snow, sand and salt from the road, I was pretty stiff and sore for the next few days.

I'll post pics of the baby shower, Rue at Christmas...and the annual ornament exchange but not now. I have to down load pics and get my Mother to upload the pics on her camera for me. All in good time.

I'm going to go to bed now. Cross your fingers for me and pray I don't start to hurl. I kind of feel like I could.

7 comments:

Tami said...

Crazy girl! We've got that crapola here too. Took the little ones to the doctor - just a common cold. Here I was thinking it was something deadly and exotic or something.

Hey, everyone, I have a video of Annette & Rue on my site. You might have to scroll down a little to find it.

Cindy said...

I hope you get to feeling better. I wish I could have seen they syrup fiasco and you falling on your butt since you heard my fall last year.

Anonymous said...

Oh man! You've been hit by a couple bugs this winter. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

Double Oye! I got it here too. Crazy weather. Hope you feel better soon. Lookin' forward to pics!

Tami said...

Are you feeling better yet? I've had this cold for a week and a half. Everytime I think I'm starting to feel better, I take a step back. So annoying. Hope your immune system works better for you.

Desperate Housewife said...

I've been sick too. I feel like there's a pulsating golf ball in my throat.
Happy New Year!

Peg said...

Hope you feel better already, Netter!