Saturday, October 04, 2008

There will be no Christmas for Uncle Gary this year!


That's right, you heard me. I was talking to his daughter ( my Cousin Cindy) today and it was quite an informative conversation.

It seems that several years ago, Uncle Gary told his Grand Daughter (Danielle) that there would be no Christmas if she wasn't a Huskers fan. Now, we all know that being a Husker fan is serious business, not for the weary or faint of heart. No, its a die hard type of relationship. Husker fans are not the kind to jump on the bandwagon, you're a fan in the good years and the bad as well. We also don't entertain the idea that for different collegiate sports, you can have different favorite teams. None of this only liking the football team for that college and the volleyball team for another. Oh no, not acceptable. You also don't parade around in the enemies logo...and by enemy, I mean any team the Huskers face, in any sport they compete in. I think I've made my point.

Anyway, my Cousin Cindy told me that there wasn't going to be a Christmas for her Dad this year. Yes, it seems as though the man has gone out and purchased a Kansas State hat. BLASPHEMY!

I think the water down in Kansas has finally gotten to the man. I swear they must put something in the water, I really do. Why else would grown men want to parade around in something with a big purple kitty on it?!

Yep, no Christmas for Uncle Gary, no Christmas indeed. After all...don't you know that Santa is a Husker fan. How do I know that? Well, you don't see Santa running around in a purple coat do you...no its RED! Uh, YEAH! Plus, big purple wildcats would eat his magical flying reindeer. Those things don't grow on trees, you know. I rest my case.

9 comments:

Darlene said...

I'm a total sports retard, so, I'm assuming the Huskers are some sort of sports team....(please send me a Christmas card anyway) ahahahah

Netter said...

Darlene~ I'ts a Nebraska thing. The Univ. or Nebraska Huskers or Cornhuskers as they used to be refered to, are the pride of the State. The State has no pro teams, so we have embraced the College. On Game day, (For Football) Memorial Stadium is the third largest populated place in the state. Its Omaha, Lincoln, Memorial Stadium. It's the mighty Sea of Red. Since you are Canadian, I'll totally let you off the hook...but, for those of us that were either born or raised in Nebraska, well, they have no excuse that I can think of.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! That is just wrong! I hope you straightened him out, Netter.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Netter
You are right about the water, you need to speak to your uncles Lonnie and John and perhaps even your dear old dad if he has ever been to Milford. I know whats in it and it is filtered twice in this house.
Hope your finger is feeling better, that kind of injury sucks. I took a hunk out of my thumb using Cindy's mandolin a few years ago trying to slice potatoes.
And I really don't know what posessed him to but that hat, but it makes a nice decoration hanging on a chair as he has never worn it.
Feel better.

Cindy said...

I love the Santa picture.

Tami said...

For Shame, Uncle Gary!

Netter said...

Anonymous~ Is that you Aunt Carole? My Dad hates fishing down at that "mud hole" in Milford. Left to his own accord, he'll always head north to fish for Walleye. Well, maybe there is a chance that his brain hasn't been tainted with that mud water after all, if he hasn't worn the hat. I'm a little concerned that he bought the thing in the first place. Tell him not to fall for the peer pressure and be strong, avoid the purple kitties and those little blue birdies everyone is so fond of down there.

Cindy~ I know, isn't it cute

Tami~ I know, right! sheesh!

Peg said...

Die hard? Talk to Cubs fans!

Hmm, what's worse -- purple kitty or cheesehead? My Chicago daughter's husband & his buddies are wildly enthusiastic Bears fans, so she's going to wear the Big Cheese. LOL - at least the cheesehead can be turned into a snack bowl.

Netter said...

Peg, Nebraska has big old Corn Cob hats that they wear. The corn head would make a good snack bowl as well. When you like a team, you have to embrace the insane stuff that goes along with it. It's part of the fun.

My Godson is a Cubs fan. Don't repeat this, because I don't want him to know it...but I have nothing against the Cubs and actually enjoy watching them. I have been a Yankee fan since I was a kid, so I stick with them, even when they suck. My Godson gives me so much crap about the Yanks and I dish it back about the Cubs, but its all in fun. I don't want him to know though...lol.

When you get right down to it though, I prefer college sports to pro. I just feel like there is more heart put into the game. Those college kids know that most of them are not going on to the pro's so they play their heart out because its their last big chance to shine on the feild, court, ect.