Monday, September 01, 2008

Who's been married for 35 years?!

I didn't forget or anything, its just that I've been busy lately. The end of August was a mile stone anniversary for my Aunt Vickie and Uncle John. Yep, they have been married for a loooooong time. Take a look at the little girls in the front row of the wedding party picture. The tall one in the middle is my Cousin Cindy and the little one on the left is me. I was three years old. Yep, three and once I had decided that I wasn't going to walk down that aisle with a church full of people looking on, there was no changing my mind. I vividly remember sitting on Aunt Vickie's lap while she tried to bribe me with candy bars. Didn't work. I also remember my Dad taking me out to the car and spanking me...that didn't work either. My Mom was off dealing with my newborn baby sister, Tisha...who was 6 days old at the time. I'm not sure anyone understood my fear of walking down that aisle, even if I had Cindy's hand to hold on to. It didn't seem to bother me, running around the reception full of people. What they don't get is that at the reception, nobody really noticed me, or at least I didn't feel like they did. At the wedding, it was a quiet church full of people with nothing to watch but me, walking down the isle. I'm sure part of my hesitation to play high school sports came from the whole idea of people being focused on what I was doing. Let's face it, I'm a "behind the scenes" kind of gal.

That was some wedding. At the reception, My Father and his co-horts, took off with all four tires from Aunt Vickie's Datson. Yep, and somehow Vickie got a hold of the keys to Mom and Dad's car. The only reason she gave them back to my Mother was because of that baby Sister of mine. Ah, good times. All I remember doing is running around like a wild child and eating cake. I lost my flowers somewhere. It's kind of hard to believe that it was 35 years ago. I can't wait until their 50th anniversary...lol, I think the tires may have to disappear off their car again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks I can't believe that it has been 35 years. Oh it was a vega not Datson. Been busy planning our trip to NH,Vt,Me and Mass. Just booked the last reservation. We put it off long enough. I developed your allergys.I'm still fighting it . The Doctor said a Sinus infection and Allergies. I have no hearing now. The drainage has stopped almost but dr said ears will be the last to get better. I have never had allergies before. I'm miserable.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Wow 35 years is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Aw, what a great picture! I totally understand the aisle thing. There's no WAY on the planet I would've walked down the aisle in a fancy dress at the age of 3.

Desperate Housewife said...

The Boy and I were in a wedding when he was three. He ran down the aisle with the other kids, than ran back, grabbed my hand, and dragged me down the aisle.

Cindy said...

We were SOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!! I remember getting my hair done and I thought that was the neatest thing at the time. I remember you crying also but I can't pick on you because I cried at your house when that tornado came through because one of our uncles told me the tornado was going to hit my house and my mother would be carried off with it.

By the way it cracks me up how parents spank their children for crying thinking it will make them stop.