Saturday, August 30, 2008

HOLY $#!%

Sam scared the bejeebers out of me this a week ago. He was driving the van, I was perched in the shotgun seat, as required by the NY State law. In his defense, he rarely scares me. He's usually a pretty observant driver and he doesn't drive recklessly.

OK, we were at the Music store and he pulled out onto Old Country Road by taking a right...which you have to do at that exit. No problem, however we wanted to go to Borders Books and Music which was in the opposite direction. There was no way he could get clear over to the left to take the next right so he pulled into a catering parking lot to turn around, that way he would have the light to make a right turn. This is what I would have done also. That intersection has a street that ends on Old Country Road and most cars turn left or right, so you don't have to wait forever for traffic moving though the intersection, atleast at that time of the day because the business wasn't busy. So, our light turns green and Sam pulls out into the intersection and starts to turn but there are two people walking across the street in the crosswalk. I totally noticed that he was looking at the guy who had passed him but not at the guy still crossing and walking right into his path. I said...while pointing, "watch that guy." Sam doesn't change course or slow down, I started shouting, "watch him, watch him! BRAKE!" and I'm doing all this with my arm streached out, pointing directly at the guy he's about to nail. Luckily when I yelled "STOP!" He did and then he said, "OMG, Thank you for saying that because I didn't seen that guy at all. I was watching the other one that was passed us." I said, "I could tell...Oh, and thanks for the heart attack, I really needed one of those." He stopped about two feet short of the pedestrian, who gave us the look of death. I don't blame him, I would have too. He had the right of way, after all. Plus everyone knows I get annoyed when cars don't yeild to pedestrians in cross walks.

1 comment:

Tami said...

I am so glad you offered to teach Hayden to drive! You only have 7 more years to prepare for that. (I had Hayden & Meredith pushing carts through a store one day. Meredith did a great job manuvering. Hayden hit stuff that wasn't even in his way!)