Tuesday, July 29, 2008

How I spent my weekend...

I was over at the Leach house this weekend and Jim asked me to help him do a little picking in the garden. OMG, talk about a crap load of veggies that needed to be picked. I only did half the beans before Jim decided I should stop and then he sent me over to pick some of the cherry maters that were supposed to be grape maters. He's not happy about the switch but what are you going to do?!
On Saturday afternoon, we went to a church fair. They had a little tag sale going on and I spent a lot of time picking trough crap. I found a huge sewing basket with tons of wooden spools. I have a strange thing for wooden spools. I couldn't just buy the wooden spools and leave the rest, they all went together but I did talk them into letting me have the spools and them keeping the basket to sell to someone else. I said that I would just trash it so they broke up the set.
I'm telling you there were a ton of wooden spools. At least half of the thread, if not more, were on wooden spools. The bowl I have them in is really a large vintage mixing bowl. It's deeper than it looks in the picture above. I also found a glass medicine beaker full of tiny crochet hooks and several bone crochet hooks. They tossed that in with the thread for a buck. I took my finds and high tailed it out of there before they changed their minds.
Ah yes, my favorite....These are Jean's hydrangea's on the side of the house. The lone pink set, the rest of the plants are blue. The blue plants faded early this year but the pink ones have kept their color. I can't walk past them without stopping to admire them. They are my favorite, right after lilacs. Lilacs win the first place spot because they smell so divine.

4 comments:

.:Cris:. said...

Hydrangeas are my favorite too! I have 1 of 6 bushes left and it hasn't bloomed in forever. Something about winters not being cold enough or something.

The veggies look yumma. Did ya snag some for yourself?

Netter said...

I've always heard that Hydrangeas don't like it too cold in the winter....hmmm. Have you tried chopping the flower back in the fall? Sometimes that helps.

Heck yeah I snatched some veggies for myself. I have have several zucs that are bigger than my arm. I'm going to make Zucchinis brownies with them...yummy, that's good stuff.

Anonymous said...

I have not been able to get them to grow here either. I dont know if its all the clay or what. So I gave up. We been finally eating out of our garden to. There is nothing better than fresh fruit and veggies.

.:Cris:. said...

Can ya send me the zucchini brownie recipe? The zucchini bread recipe needs a rest!