Friday, February 22, 2008

It snowed...whooptie do....and it its still snowing...

I wish I could say that I woke up to this crap this morning, however the truth is that I drove in it between 1:00 and 2:30AM. I had to pick Sam and Nancy up from JFK. Their flight had been delayed and when I left the house at 1 AM, it had just started snowing. It was fine snow but very moist. I was OK until I got through Rockville Centre and then Sunrise Hwy was sliiiick. I went, at the most, 25 miles per hour the rest of the way to JFK. On the Belt Parkway a guy in a SUV passed me like a freakin' freight train. A little later, I passed him along the side of the road. He had tried to change lanes to go to JFK also and had slid across the Parkway and hit the guard rail. I wish I could say that it was the first and last accident I passed. Nope, there were several more. People just don't know how to drive in snow out here. You'd think they would. I guess its just a matter of them forgetting that snow can be slick in the most unlikely places. Hence we saw a three car pile up as we left the airport, another car slid off the Belt Parkway, hit a light pole, knocking it completely over and then went through a chain link fence only to face the wrong way and blocking part of the entrance ramp to the service road. There were three more along Sunrise Hwy. I'm from Nebraska...so I was fine. I was more worried about people playing pinball and hitting me.
Needless to say, we got home unscathed, but I tossed and turned in bed until 5:15 AM. I think after the stress of watching all those freaks play bumper car, I was to geared up to sleep, I got up at 7AM and scooped a path in the driveway, in case Georg (he's Greek...that is how he spells his name) the painter shows up...if he shows up. Sam's going to be pissed. The only real snow we've had this year and there is no school because of break...he's been dying for a snow day, poor kid.
I feel like I need a nap.

2 comments:

.:Cris:. said...

I will gladly trade you our ice for your snow! :) We haven't had enough snow for the kids to play in it and have fun... Our weather has been crazy, and except for this week its hit on Tuesdays. The kids missed 2 days last week because of ice, and are missing today. But no snow days here, we have to make each and every one of them up...

Anonymous said...

ugh, when will it end??