Wednesday, February 06, 2008

giggle fits, sore throats and sad news

I woke up this morning with a killer sore throat. At first, I thought I had spent the night snoring or breathing with my mouth open. The air is kind of dry in the house right now so that would make sense. I figured I'd give myself some time to see if the feeling went away after I was up and showered, had a nice drink of ice water, ect. Well, to my displeasure, my throat still feels as crappy as it did when I woke up. On top of that, I feel as sluggish and miserable as I did when I first opened my eyes. I decided to take it easy today. Yep, that means I'm curling up on the sofa with a good book (Pillars of the Earth) and some hot tea with honey. I might work on my felted cuff bracelet some more ore knit a little, maybe start some granny squares....who knows!

Oh, this is strange... I woke myself up at 2AM laughing. I must have had a dream or something, but I honestly don't remember having one. I was just laughing so hard, like when you are on the verge of tears and you are trying to catch your breath. Yeah, I was splitting a gut, snorting with laughter. I'd no longer stop than to start up again. Once I realized that I had no idea why I was laughing, I laughed harder. It was totally out of control. When I finally stopped I just sat there confused and oddly amused by the whole situation. I laid in bed for at least 45 minutes, racking my brain, trying to remember what I had been laughing about before I finally fell back asleep. If I end up Britney's room mate at the hospital, will you guys visit me? No, no, I don't think it will come to that. Maybe if I start having giggle fits during the middle of the day and don't know why I'm laughing, well...maybe then.

My Mom called me earlier. She said that Grandma was going into the hospital. The nurses at her Home had called to let Mom and Dad know that Grandma had been running fevers and that her fluid output has dropped. Her Kidneys are giving out on her. I have been thinking about Grandma a lot lately, perhaps because her health both mentally and physically have been nose diving. I knew I would get a call like this one day, sooner than later. I let my bosses know that there is a chance that I may have to fly home for a funeral soon. Big case or no big case, I'm going. I know they can find someone to come spend the night with Sam so he's not here by himself at night because that freaks him out. Stick my Grandma in your nightly prayer list.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the funny side, its always great to have an all and out laughing fit. It keeps you young and more mindful!

On the other side, I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. If there is anything I can do from here just let me know!

My grandparents are getting older and peoples stories of their grandparents always make me worry!

Hope to hear better news!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your grandma. You know your grandma she probably stil has something to say . Maybe she said something to you in your dream and thats why you were laughing so hard.I thought maybe you were laughing about what we were talking about on the phone. Millie hang in there. I will be thinking of you guys.

Anonymous said...

Aw, I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma. Hugs. I hope everything is okay.

Millie said...

Had to go to hospital and sign papers, so spent 4 hours there. She was asleep all the time except for a few minutes when she opened her eyes, but I got no response from her, during any of the time I was there.. I don't know if she was dreaming or hovering inbetween here and there, because she kept saying, no, no, and sometimes she would say mama, mama, no, no. I'm not sure if she was seeing her mom on the other side, but saying no, that she didn't want to go or what..Wierd. I told her if she wanted to see her mama, that it was o.k. she could go if she wanted to.. no response, then later the same thing would happen..Her temp went from 100.4 to 98.8 while I was there, so it did drop, but for how long who knows.. They had to catheter her, and there had been absolutely nothing from the time she was admitted until I left.. They are pumping IV fluids in her and antibiotics but I don't know if they will help..She is not retaining fluids as she is not puffy, She actually looks terrible. blood pressure was 90/40 as I was leaving.. She has lived a good life,(will be 92 in April) with a few upsets along the way, but always dealt pretty good with them.She really doesn't have a lot going for her, the memory is pretty much gone, and wheel chair bound, or has been up til now,skin so thin that it tears at the touch.She always has skin tears or bruises, from just little bumps.
Time will tell, on how this turns out.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma. I know it's hard, and I will certainly be adding her to my prayers.

Tami said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. We are thinking about you all and keeping you in our prayers.

Desperate Housewife said...

Am sending good vibes to your grandma.

Kissiffer said...

Nette, sorry to hear about your grandmother. I will say a prayer for her.

Rockstar Mom said...

Prayers for Netter's Grandma - Check.

{{Hugs for you}}

.:Cris:. said...

(((hugs))) I'm horrible with words, but I'm thinking of you :) (and thanks for your kind words...)

The giggle fit, well that's priceless. I hope I wake up in the middle of the night having a gigglefest. I'll blame it on the cold meds because I woke up feeling icky this morning too.

Tommorrow will be a better day, even if we do have up to 1" of ice and school has already been called off for the spawn...