Friday, January 11, 2008

Cousin goes Boom-boom...and tales of a Sleep Walker.


See that cake pan? See the dented corner? It looked much worse in person...but that is what happens when one of your Cousins falls on Christmas Day. She hit the only patch of ice on the entire sidewalk. Six inches to the left and she would have been fine. Thank GOODNESS she decided to save her Peach Bread Pudding desert instead of herself. I love that stuff....no, no, I'm glad she was OK, I would have felt a little guilty eating that desert if she had been hurt badly....but it wouldn't have stopped me from eatting that pudding. Hey, I'm just being honest...lol.
Here is my version of the accident. I was in my bedroom at my parents, getting dressed after my shower. I suddenly hear a large crunch sound, like someone jumped in the ice encrusted snow. CRUNCH! Then I hear muffled giggles and then muffled talking. By the time I got dressed and started to head up front, I met my mom in the hallway with her robe in tow. Seems as though my Cousin Cindy, aka Boom-Boom... had a little adventure of sorts and her cream colored slacks looked like they had been through a war zone. Cindy and I went downstairs after she changed into my Mom's robe and we did a quick load of laundry. I don't do laundry on Christmas Day for just anyone....she's lucky I like her....lol. Anyway, then we notice that her knee is all scraped up. She can't figure out how that happened because she said she fell on her butt. Then Danielle...the giggler...says, No, you did the splits. Cindy shoots her the look of death....not because of her truth fullness, but because Danielle...who was walking behind her Mom when she fell, had started laughing before she asked if Cindy was OK. BIG mistake in the land of Boom-boom. Always muffle your giggles, ask their status and then if they are going to live, feel free to laugh...that is my motto. From the condition of Cindy's soiled pants, it was hard to tell exactly how she fell. It kind of looked like she rolled around on the ground. She was covered in dirt on all sides. I'm glad to report that she survived her fall and Danielle was also allowed to live...though I hope she learned a valuable lesson in the process: Don't laugh first....
POST NOTE...My Dad and I, spent hours on Christmas Eve chopping ice off the sidewalk and driveway...Cindy had found the tiny spot that was melted the day before. I'm happy to know that I am not the only klutz in the family and that this stuff doesn't just happen to me. It must be genetic.
In other news...My Mother caught me sleepwalking. It's kind of a funny story so I will share it with you.
I had been sick. Puking my guts up, running a fever and every part of my body hurt. I was feeling a bit better but my back was killing me. I was sure it was that guest bed. So when Dad fell asleep downstairs in front of the TV, I stole his spot in bed. Yep, I crawled in bed next to my Mom and suffered through her coughing fits. I'd been moving pretty slow. When your back hurts, you just can't move fast. At 2 AM however, I JUMPED out of bed. I moved so fast that I woke Mom up and she thought I was going to be sick again or something. Then she noticed that I was lingering at the side of the bed. At first she thought I had jumped out of bed so quickly that I knocked off one of the four 11 x 14 pictures she has hanging on the wall in a row. She said to me, "What are you doing?" To which I answered, "HUH? WHAT?...CAKE PAN!" Mom responded with a puzzled, "WHAT?!" Now let me explain what had just been going through my puzzled mind. I had jumped out of bed because the suitcases on the luggage carousel were going to start backing up and I knew I had to remove them from the belt before they started falling all over the place. I grabbed the first two "Suitcases" aka picture frames...and tossed one on the bed, I was looking at the second one and I remember thinking this..."Wait! This isn't a suitcase, its a cake tray...but where is the cake and the lid?" That is when my mother asked me what I was doing and then suddenly I noticed that there was a picture on the "cake pan/tray" and I was very confused. I started to explain to Mom what I had been doing and she said, "You must have been sleep walking, girl!" and at that point I started laughing, because I guess I had been. It was the strangest mixture of confusion and perfect sense. It had felt so real and my mission so urgent. The rest of my time at home, my Dad kept saying, "Don't rearrange the pictures tonight." He's such a comedian, at least he thinks he is.

11 comments:

Yarn Tails said...

giggles....

Mary sleepwalks and talks sometimes. It is quite funny at times.

Netter said...

Oh man, its terrible to sleepwalk. It freaks me out. Who knows what I do. Thank goodness that I'm to dumb to open doors when I sleepwalk or things could get interesting fast.

Anonymous said...

awhh. sorry to hear about the pants, but glad she's ok. I dented my cake pan once, but I didn't fall. I had just bought it brought it home like a dork sat it on the bumper of the car, went to shut the trunk and BAM. Do you think the little ding can be hammered out. Course you could always keep it that way ... great reminder for many cakes to come.

Anonymous said...

Well... You and your family can keep me entertained any day!!

I'm glad she's okay.. Otherwise I would be called to help her out!!

On the whole sleep walking thing, that is funny stuff. Kent talks in his sleep and weird not making sense stuff and you can talk to him.. Its fun to mess with him sometimes.. Then when I tell him in the morning ... He isn't so impressed at first!!

Anonymous said...

Sleep walking and talking in your sleep must run in the family because I do it to. It freaks James out.

Desperate Housewife said...

I lost an entire tray of banana bread slices once when I slipped on the ice. We snuck the unbroken ones back on and didn't tell anyone.

Anonymous said...

All I could think of as I was falling is I gotta save the desert for Netter. I did get all of the mud out of my pants only to spill red wine cooler on them New Year's Eve.

Cindy

.:Cris:. said...

My cousin is a sleepwalker- they had to baby proof her home (she's 35ys old) because she's fallen down the basement steps one too many times. She likes to eat in her sleep, and sadly almost burned my house down smoking while sleepwalking... ack

Hope you're feeling better... and now where's the Rue Rue pictures? :) (glad your cousin is ok, too)

Cris~

Kare said...

Ice wipe outs are scary. Glad Cindy was ok. Darlene did a good wipeout last year on my sidewalk and it was horrible watching her go down. Thank GOD the pudding was saved, too!; )

Netter, your sleepwalking story was hilarious. I love that you explained it all. Now we all know what goes through that head of yours. Funny how the mind works. You do have deadbolts on your doors, right?

Millie said...

I did not have a clue that Denise sleep walked, think I did hear her mention once about talking in her sleep, though. Well, if it'a genetic thing, it has to come from the Kaster side..lol come to think of it, maybe the Lade side.. remember Mike talking about Grandma parked on a chair in front of the refrigerator with the door open and eating stuff in the middle of the night.. lol.. who knows!!!!!!

Rockstar Mom said...

Well I am glad she wasn't hurt. I am sneaking in Mollie's bedroom to use the computer. She's still asleep. (My laptop died) and I got to the part about thanking God she saved her cobbler and I laughed so loud, I woke up Mollie.

I should make an alarm clock out of this.