Thursday, May 24, 2007

And the medal goes to....


I love buttons. I love ribbon. Hell, I love lots of things and tend to collect stuff off of packages and presents. I find it hard to part with the extra buttons that come with clothes even after I discard the outfit. If its worth passing on I do, but if it isn't fit for charity because I stain stuff like nobodies business, I take the buttons off before I trash it.
Over the years I have come up with a ton of notions. A while back I saw a picture of a medal that someone made using a button and ribbon. They looked like service awards that soldiers receive for bravery or advanced skills. I figure some day I might be a nanny for a little one again and they might come in handy. (Maybe Rue would like it too) How much fun would it be to have a ceremony for a preschooler who bravely sat through their shot at the doctors office or if they are afraid of cats or dogs, were able to summon the strength to pet it without hiding behind you, crying. How about an award for Extreme patience when they sat polity and played instead of running around like a nutcase when the car was getting its annual maintenance or at the bank. I like the idea for an award for a random act of kindness or for an act of true honesty. The possibilities are endless. I'm making them so they can be safely pinned on their shirts for the day or several days but after a week they must be placed on a felt banner that we can hang on the wall of their bedroom. Each award will be labeled with a tag on the back that says why and when it was awarded. When they out grow the phase, it can be rolled up and tucked away. Years later, long after they forgot about it, it would be fun to see what they accomplished.
I think its always a good idea to praise good behavior, its encouraging. Lol, can't you see a kid strutting around the grocery store, helping you get the items you need, perhaps wearing a super hero cape and showing off the medal on his shirt to anyone that will listen. Of course, it could be a little girl wearing a super hero cape and showing off her medals....valor comes in all shapes and sizes.

2 comments:

Millie said...

You come up with some of the cutest and brainiest ideas!! How on earth did you ever develope such an intelligent mind?? I, however will not be toteing Rue through the grocery store wearing any kind of cape or super hero outfit, unless it is Halloween, and then it would be iffy!!

Netter said...

Well I sure didn't get it from Dad....lol. You know you are laughing in agreement. Don't try to lie.

If Rue wanted to wear a super hero cape, you'd let her. Don't be a party pooper, Mother.