Sunday, March 04, 2007

The secret to winning the wish.

I don't know if I should really tell you this. When people know the secret to breaking the wishbone, its harder to win a wish. Oh what the hell....

OK, so every Thanksgiving...or other major event that calls for the consumption of a whole turkey or even chicken, leads to the famous Wishbone match. For those of you not familiar with this event, let me quickly explain it to you. You save the wishbone until the end of the meal. One person takes the wishbone and holds one side of it while thinking of a secret wish, the other person grabs the other side and also makes a secret wish. On the count of three, they pull it apart. The person that ends up with the larger part of the wishbone wins the right to have their wish granted.

As a kid this was a big event. Hey, who doesn't want to have a wish granted?! It was always a bummer when you ended up with the little part but you had great expectations for the next time. The one person you didn't want to pull a wishbone apart with was my Father. He usually won. It was annoying but alas, those are the breaks of life. It wasn't until I was much older that he spilt the beans about his secret winning strategy. I'm going to pass it on to you. Hey, I'm not a magician, so I am not held to a vow of secrecy. Nope...I can blab it all over the Internet, via my blog. I know you are dying to know.....so without any further ado.....the person that doesn't pull the hardest wins. It's even better if you can make it seem like you pulled but in actuality, you fake it and let the other person do all the pulling. You know, make a noise like a weight lifter does when they are lifting a large amount. Most kids fall for it. You'll end up with the bigger piece of the wishbone every time...unless the bone was faulty and weak in a spot on your side of it. Make sure you don't tell other people about this. If you break a wishbone with someone in the "know", it turns into the equivalent of a staring match. Neither of you really want to loose so you sit there waiting for the other person to pull. You could be left sitting there for hours if you are really stubborn.

I should have made you promise to save one of every 5 wins you get using this method for me. Oh well...I guess its to late now.

You know, there are so many fun things we did as kids to get wishes granted. Let's see....
~Make a wish and blow out ALL of your birthday cake candles
~Find an eyelash, close your eyes and blow it off your finger, while making a wish.
~Catch a falling leaf in the autumn before it hits the ground and the wish you made as you focused on it will come true.
~Pick a dandelion that has gone to seed, if you blow all the little seed puffs off in one blow, your wish will come true.
~When the clasp of your necklace is touching the charm, you hold the charm and turn the clasp to the back of your neck while making a wish.
~Make a wish on a falling star.
~Make a wish on the first star you see in the evening before anyone else.
~Make a wish on the first lightening bug you catch...but you have to whisper it to the bug and release it, if you want it to come true.

..just to name a few. We are never to old for making wishes and hoping they are granted. I'll admit it...I still do those things, if I get a chance. I'd like to think its more than habit that compels me.

What do you make wishes on?

7 comments:

Kare said...

Good Morning.
We always did the wishbone and now my girls do. And of course the birthday candles.
I've never been a make a wish person but I'd love to catch a lightening bug!

Anonymous said...

Wishing upon the first star I see in the night sky, too. That always seemed magical.

Netter said...

Who can resist a good wish? It's like cinnomon rolls, baking in the oven...you can't resist its pull.

Desperate Housewife said...

That's a good tip about the wishbone.
I always do the eyelash thing.

Darlene said...

Thanks for the heads-up about the wishbone...I never win the wish, so now I'll totally beat the kids every year!

I always wish on the 1st star of the evening...and, of course, the birthday candles....but NEVER lightening bugs...I have a terrible insect phobia. Worse than you'd ever imagine.

Kimberly said...

I know it sounds corny, but I used to wish on ladybugs. When a ladybug landed on me, I would make a wish and make it fast, because you had to make your wish before it flew away or it wouldn't come true.

Netter said...

Kim~ I think that is really cute!

Darlene~ Let them win once in a while...