Thursday, March 01, 2007

My unblocked 12 inch squares

OK, I decided, there was nothing to be embarrassed of. After all they are my first attempt at my blocks and they are also my first attempt at reading directions without any help. I'm still really new to crocheting. Sure, I had to read through several different directions to find one I thought I could figure out, but it paid off....except for the one that I couldn't get to turn out at all. I never made it passed the 5th round because it looked nothing like it was supposed to.

Keep in mind that these puppies are not blocked. I'm thinking that might help them. I just tossed them on the floor and flattened them out. The easiest two are the top two. The one on the bottom left wants to pull in in the center and I'm not sure why, I double checked and I think my stitches are very close to having the same tension and my stitch count seems right. The one on the lower right looks wankie in this picture, but it doesn't looks as strange in real life. I'm going to go back and count stitches to make sure that the top of the block has the same as the bottom. It doesn't look like it here, but it might just be the way its laying. I'm sure I counted the same last night.

I didn't know if the blocks were supposed to be all the same or if they could be completely different. I just wanted to try something new, to see if I could do it. Anyway, I need some input.
Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Netter those are amazing! You did a WONDERFUL Job on all of them! When you join squares like we are doing for the afghan, they always look wonky before hand. They are PERFECT!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE Them!!!!

Netter said...

Whewwww! Thank goodness, I was freaking out about them at first but I'm pretty happy with my first attempt. Thanks Brandy, you made my day. How many are we supposed to do? How many other ladies are doing blocks? Should I do more?

Netter said...

OK, so Brandy just told me that you don't block acrylic yarn. Learned something new! I'm not an idiot, I'm new to this stuff...lol.

aj said...

OMG Netter, those are REALLY beautiful!

The bottom two blew me away - I can't believe you attempted and ACCOMPLISHED those more difficult squares. That's WONDERFUL!

You should definitely NOT feel embarrassed - you should be beaming with pride of good workmanship.

About blocking, you can block acrylic, kind of, but it doesn't always work. But you never ever block it with heat, or it could melt.

But those won't need blocking: once they're joined with the others, they'll be just fine!

Great job!!

Priscilla said...

Those really do look good.
I finally got started on mine.

Netter said...

AJ~ Thanks! I have to tell you, the one on the bottom right had me freaked at first and I did have to frog a few times once I started it, but it was because I lost my count a few times and at first I didn't understand one of the round directions. I did what I thought it wanted but it didn't look right so I switched it and then it looked right. I just went through as many directions as I could find, until I found something that I could kind of understand. It took a long time....lol. I'm visual, if their is a good picture and decent directions..and by decent I mean simple... I can probably figure it out. I have to say, for my first time doing this, I'm pretty proud of my job.

Good to know about the acrylic blocking. I could just see my face if I melted my work. My blood pressure would be through the roof, I'm sure.

Priscilla~ Thanks. I'm glad I stared so soon. I was worried I would have a lot of issues so I started right away. Truth be told, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to do it at all.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Netter! You are a bona fide crocheter! They look fantastic! LOVE THEM! Stuff always looks wonky before they are joined and edged. Don't sweat it.

Netter said...

Thanks Sue. Wonky and I are one with the world now. I was on a roll, that is for sure. I missed some of my favorite shows because I was trying to work on my crochet pattern at the same time.

Anonymous said...

I like both of the ones on the right. I,m glad that you are doing so good. I never could figure it out. So when are you going to be ready to make one for Bunny Rue. Keep up the good work.

Netter said...

Vic~ I already have a blanket started for Bunny Rue Rue. I have 6 blocks done.

I bet you could figure it out now. I didn't get it the first time I tried it either.

Kare said...

Netter! Ho-la!
Beautiful work. It's really hard to believe that you haven't crocheted these before. wowzers. Now, where did you get the patterns from?
(I confess that I have not done any yet.)

Netter said...

Kare~ then only things that I done in crochet are a dish cloth, a little bit of a blanket which I made my Mom finish...and it was just straight double crochet. My biggest issue is reading the directions. It's like greek to me...but if there is a good pic and they word it right, I can get it. I used the free patterns that are on the Sister site links.

Millie said...

Look good to me!!! I always said you were to hard on yourself.. You don't have to be a perfectionist to make them look alright!!!

Anonymous said...

Now you have to knit me some pot holders!

Netter said...

Miyon~ I don't know how to make the nice thick potholders....I'll ask around.