Tuesday, December 12, 2006

What a co-winkie-dink!


Don't ask me why, but the picture won't turn...so it looks dorky. Anyway, here's my story. I had to go shopping today. I HAD TO. Christmas is just around the corner. Anyway, I was in a little store and I was just checking out their Christmas ornaments and I spotted a little porcelain teapot hanging amongst a ton of other ornaments. Instantly, I thought of my Grandpa Clarence. He used to collect teapots. I mean, seriously collect them. He had so many that he had an auction to sell them when they moved to another house. TONS of teapots. I thought I would buy it not only because I saw it and thought of him but because it had little blue forget-me-not flowers on it. However, when I moved the other ornaments to check the price, I noticed that the handle was broken. I asked if they had anymore and the owner said that they did not. Bummer, I know!
I went on my merry way and when I got home after several more stops I did what I always do. I cleaned out my change and looked at all my pennies for wheat pennies. Grandpa Clarence also collected wheat pennies and somewhere along the way, I started picking through my change at the end of each day and putting the wheat pennies that I found in a jar. I go months with out finding a wheat penny. Months! However, today I found two of them...TWO! I think Grandpa spent the day with me. I bet Grandma was up in Heaven calling his name, wondering where that man went off to, when he didn't answer. I laugh every time I think about it. I can still hear her yelling his name, even after all these years.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww.

(Holy, girl, I've missed a lot of posts!)

Anonymous said...

Perhaps Clarence was getting his wings?

Netter said...

Kare~ I keep trying to leave comments on your site...and can't. So SAD!

Sue~ lol...hopefully he already got his wings and he is just taking them for a spin.

Anonymous said...

I can hear it to Clarence were are you. You have to wonder what kind of sign this was for you. He probably was getting his pennies ready for the card game at Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Awww this is a super sweet story.. Actually bought tears to my eyes. I miss my grandpas sooo much! Both of the old farts!

Netter said...

Mine were too, Brandy. They were quite a handful.

Darlene said...

*sniff* that was a nice story! I thought my grandfather was the greatest man in the world and I miss him every day - It's so nice that you spent the day with your's. :o)

Netter said...

Awww, well, Grandpa's are a special breed. Mine were so different, but both kept you on your toes.