Wednesday, October 11, 2006

What a morning

So, Nancy had to fly to Chicago today for a few days....its a work thing and she had a car service set up to pick her up at 7:45AM. They are usually early but today it was 7:45 and nobody was here. she called and they told her he would be there in 3-5 minutes. Yeah right, 20 minutes later I told her to forget it and I would drive her to LaGuardia Airport. Now, I don't like driving in the morning rush but I had hoped that most of the traffic would be over by then. Yeah right. Everything was moving really well on the Southern State Parkway, the Cross Island was slowwwwww..but moving and the Grand Central sucked until we were almost there. The high point of the drive was when I had just switched lanes from the far right lane to the right hand middle lane. OMG. This big white commercial van came flying up my left hand side and suddenly decided he needed to be in my lane. Holy crap, he zoomed past me, speeding far more than I was...and I slightly over the limit at that point. I'm not sure what the hell he was doing. It's not like he had anyone in front of him in his lane, atleast close enough that he would have to dive into my lane like that. I actually yelled, "HOLY SHIT" and Nancy and I were both saying, "OMG, what the hell was he doing?!" I know when he started pulling past me, I saw his mirror and it was very close to me but it didn't touch my mirror so I wasn't really worried because I knew I was in the middle of my lane and I had a little wiggle room. Then he suddenly swerved toward me like he was switching lanes. I slammed on the break and moved as far to the right as I could without leaving my lane because there were cars to my right. He just kept moving over and he actually touched my mirror, tilting it forward, but luckily I had slammed on the breaks and he just cleared the front of my bumper because he was speeding like a mad man. Mind you, he had no blinker on. I mean, seriously, it was the dumbest thing I have seen in ages. He must have realized what had happened, because as I am putting my window down and popping my mirror back in place, he slowed down a little bit and waved at me like he was sorry....piss me off. OMG....Freak! He had North Carolina plates...so perhaps he didn't know the road and I do know that the lanes split for a bit into a 2x2 and then rejoin but if you don't know the road and you think you have an exit coming up, I could see why you would freak out and think you need to get in my lane. Yeah, well at this point I am just making up excised for him. Either way, there was nobody directly behind me so he could have slowed earlier and pulled in there.....but NOOOOO..he has to give me a heart attack. I just really don't get why he did that, unless the wind caught him and pushed him a little so he just went with it. It was kind of windy, but even then...sheesh!

Oh yeah, here is the funny part...remember how Nancys car service didn't show up, well on the way up our road, guess who we passed. Yep the guy in his Lincoln Town Car on the side of the road, with another car smooshed into him. It looks like the car service guy had pulled out into the side of a passing car. Very strange. Anyway, Nancy was on the phone with the car service telling them that she was going to miss her flight if she waited so she had a friend driving her.....as we pass the car service boo boo...and they are trying to tell her that she still has to pay for the pick up. So, she politely tells them that they will not be paid for services that were not rendered and that we just passed the driver who was in an accident. Needless to say, she doesn't have to pay for it.

Luckily, I hit zero traffic on the way home and I managed to get back in no time at all. I dropped off Cliffs prescriptions and made my phone calls for the day. Now I'm working on a post office run and a grocery list.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Moley! I'm glad you came out of that one alive, Nett! Those roads can be crazy over there!

Netter said...

People are nuts out here. I seriously don't think most of them should have a drivers lisc. Thank goodness my trip home was smooth. It's been a crazy day...then that plane crash in NYC was one block from my friends apt. Her hubby was working at home and heard the explosion.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't that the craziest thing? My husband had a pilot's license and can't figure out just what the heck happened there! The media out here went on and on about the guy being a former A's pitcher and I'm like, HELLO! Was anyone hurt in the building or on the ground?!

Netter said...

You know they actually have some video footage of the the sharp turn and explosion....but the visability is bad.