Friday, October 13, 2006

Another one goes down...

What a rotten night. I got very little sleep. I had gone to bed and was restless so I got up and decided to watch the episode of The Office that I had taped last night. It was midnight and suddenly Cliff was at the bottom of the stairs, looking terrible. He had come home from work and was working on the medication that he needed for his colonoscopy today. So basically he had no real food yesterday, just some jello and then he came home and took the pills, waited 3 hours and had been working on drinking the fluid mixture, 8 oz every 10-15 minutes. He had been having sever stomach cramps and ofcourse that stuff is supposed to clean you out, but he said in the past it never hurt this bad. He was in the tiny foyer bathroom, sitting on the toilet in pain and he passed out. His head went to the right side of the vanity in a small area between the wall and he kind of got stuck. I never heard a thing. When he came to he was crammed beside the vanity and had no idea where he was. He was had a terrible time getting out of there, his shirts were drenched in sweat and so he took them off and realized his head was bleeding when he managed to pull himself out enough to grab his sore head.
When I saw him I knew something was wrong. He was freaking out, hyper ventilating, shivering, shaky on his legs. I made him sit down on the stairs, while I got some ice for his swollen eyebrow and the the little bump on his forehead. His head was scratched by the little bump and so I cleaned that off and put some ointment on it, wrapped him in a blanket and sat on the stairs, holding one of the ice packs for him with one hand, rubbing his back with the other in an attempt to calm him down. The man was totally spooked. It was after 1 AM when he was finally in good enough shape to walk up the stairs and have his wits about him. This was a very bad time for Nancy to be away on business. Anyway, he thought he would be fine at this point but he decided that he wasn't taking anymore of that medicated drink.

I was so nervous about him going to sleep after banging his head but he said he was going to be OK. I didn't fall asleep for a long time after that. He slept in too which didn't help matters any. I was up at 6:20 AM, like normal to get Sam out the door by 7 AM and ofcourse the first thing Sam does is rat on his Dad for not drinking all of his bowel prep kit liquid. I had to tell him what had happened, but he didn't look to worried about it. Nancy called at 8:30 and I told her what had happened and she said she would call back at 9:30 before she went into court. I took a shower and when I got out, Cliff was in the kitchen. I dropped him off at the hospital at 10 AM for his procedure and then picked him up a little late at 12:25 because I couldn't get a parking spot in the 15 minute patient pick-up zone. I had to sign him out...which he was laughing about, saying "I have tried to get her to take responsibility for me for yearsssss, and this is what it takes! MAN!" Let me tell you, Cliff was in a jolly mood in the elevator while the nurse was walking him out. There were tons of nurses in the elevator with us and he turns to me and says...."Everyone was checking out my bumps and cuts, but don't worry, I didn't tell them that you were the one who knocked me around." To which I replied, "If you would learn to pick up you socks and put the toilet seat down it wouldn't happen." Then we both cracked up. They didn't seem to have the same sense of humor about it as we did. Hell, they probably thought it was true....who knows. Anyway, Cliff is upstairs sleeping again....all is peaceful in the world.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! That's a little too exciting for me! You did great, though. I love the elevator banter! LOL!

Netter said...

Oh let me tell you....life around here is just a little to nutty sometimes. Tonight before He scuttled off to bed, Cliff yelled down the stairs that he would meet me on the landing at midnight. I yelled back that his wife was on Cliff watch tonight. She got back from her business trip. lol.

Unknown said...

That is how my hubby and I sound all the time. LOL You should hear him when he is flirting and I help him out. Those poor girls and nurses.. Its funny as all get out!!

Anonymous said...

Let me tell you...hospital docs are really serious about the whole "what caused your concussion Ms. Frankland?" When we went to the emergency room because I fell off the ladder to the loft bed, the ER doc asked the hubby to sit out in the waiting area. I was mad at him anyways because if he had screwed the ladder in as I had asked him REPEATEDLY to do, it wouldn't have fallen and I wouldn't have bonked my head. So when the Doc asked what had happened I gave Christopher an annoyed look and explained, then the Doc looked over at Christopher for a long second and asked him to leave the cubicle. Then he asked me if I wanted a nurse to come in and speak to me. That's when it occurred to me, in my concussed fog, that they thought my husband might have hit me. The really funny thing is when Christopher came in a year earlier because a baseball clocked him in the head no one asked any questions about the wife...I told them that I my husband was in no way responsible but the doc said if I ever needed to speak to someone, there was help available. He also regarded Christopher suspiciosly after he was allowed back in as the doc explained when to take the painkillers.