Sunday, July 02, 2006

Call me old fashioned..

I like roller skates. Don't even try to get me to put on a pair of roller blades. I've worn them before and I vowed to never do it again. EVER. I'll ice skate but I wont inline skate. I'm sticking to roller skates. I just like them better. I have more control, I can stop quicker and let's face it...when attaching wheels to your body, stopping quickly is a huge selling point. Those are not my skates either. Mine are in my parents basement and are white with bright pink wheels. They are hot, let me tell you. At one point I had big pink pom-poms that were tied on them but I took them off and I have no idea where they went. No wait, I do know...they are in a box of Halloween costume stuff becuase I tied them onto my big polka dotted clown shoes because they had bells on them. Honeslty, I'm a bit old for pom-poms on anything, so their disappearance from my laces doesn't bother me so much.
When I was a kid, I used to love spending the afternoon at the Roller rink, skating in circles, dodging wipe outs and avoiding fingers at all cost. To this day the song, Hot Child in the City by Nick Gilder brings back Roller Rink memories. It is possibly the worlds most repetitive song ever. You know what I am talking about...it goes like this:


Danger in the shape of something' wild
Stranger dressed in black, she's a hungry child
No one knows who she is or what her name is
I don't know where she came from or what her game is
(Hot child in the city)
(Hot child in the city)
(Runnin' wild and lookin' pretty)
(Hot child in the city)
So young to be loose and on her own
Young boys, they all want to take her home
She goes downtown, the boys all stop and stare
When she goes downtown, she walks like she just don't care, care
(Hot child in the city)
(Hot child in the city)
(Runnin' wild and lookin' pretty)
Yeah(Hot child in the city)
Come on down to my place, baby
We'll talk about love
Come on down to my place, woman
We'll make love! Hot child in the city
(Hot child in the city)
She's kinda dangerous(Hot child in the city)
Young child(Runnin' wild and lookin' pretty)
Young child, runnin' wild(Hot child in the city)
Hot child in the city(Hot child in the city)
(Hot child in the city)
(Hot child in the city)
Hot child in the city(Hot child in the city)
Hot child in the city(Hot child in the city)

Yep, it was requested all the time and played atleast twice, more if we could talk the Roller DJ in to it. You'd be sporting your glow stick and skating around in the dark, then they would turn on the mirror ball and you'd swear you consumed to much sugar...talk about feeling high, all that swirling around. I'll admit it, I sucked at roller limbo. "How low can you go?" Not very darn low, that is for sure. Oh well, its OK because I rocked at the circle stop. Eventually I never stopped without pointing my toes out and spinning in a circle. I'm still good at it, a little rusty but I've still got the moves. Remember when decals were the big thing on shirts? Everyone was getting their name on the backs of their baseball jerseys. Well, I had "Annette" in rainbow glitter letters on a red football jersey. I loved that shirt. Well, I was skating and an older girl rolls past and says, "Hi Annette!" in a very perky, friendly way. I said Hi, back but I had no idea who she was. I mean, serioulsy, I remembered faces and I had never seen her before. WELL DUH, I was just being a stupid kid. It took me about 5 laps before I figured out how she knew my name. It was on the back of my shirt. It had driven me nuts trying to place her. Well, its a no brainer that I started doing that to other people. I mean, the looks on their faces was priceless as they kept glancing at you trying to figure out how you knew their name.

lol...Ah, the good old days! Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to go download Hot Child in the City from itunes and stick it on my ipod. I'll be annoying people for weeks because I will be singing it at the top of my lungs for weeks. You know, we only have my Parents to blame for this....if they would have bought me the
Mr Microphone when I was a kid, I'd have it out of my system by now. ( They were not dumbies, they didn't want to listen to me blasting my tone deaf voice over the radio with the aid of a cheap plastic mic. )

8 comments:

Kare said...

Holy.
Did you ever bring back memories!
I, too, was a roller skating chick.
And the shirt with the name...me too!!

(s-a--t-u-r--d-a-y- NIGHT!)
Oh!! and my fav, Super Freak!
Thanks for this post!

Netter said...

Super Freak, Super Freak, she's super Freaky....FUN song!

Glad I took you on a stroll down memory lane. I aim to please.

denise said...

god i love roller skating. lol still do.

Netter said...

Did Boo Boo not know what she was missing? Is she a wall hugger? You know one of those kids (or adults) that stays along the wall gripping for dear life? I could see how it would be more appealing to eat nachos and drink and icee if I were a wall hugger.

You know I never ice skated with actual ice skates when I was a kid. I scooted around in sneakers and penny loafers....but I started ice skating out here. I'm not half bad...when the friggin toe pick doesn't get in my way.

Chelie said...

I love roller skating too. Can't stop though. Never figured that out. Never really stopped me from skating though. What I hate is when the wall huggers are your friends, and they try to hang onto you so they aren't alone and you both end up on your ass.

Netter said...

Oh man, wall huggers are deadly when they grab you. It's like the gravitational pull of the earth triples in strength as soon as they latch on.

Millie said...

Yep, Hot Child was a rink song, and so was YMCA by the Village People.. All those people out there skating and arms flying every which way to make the letters!!!LOL. I loved it!! Yeah, Netter, I think you put me on my butt a few times when you were learning, but guess it paid off in the end. You can skate!!! Can you skate backwards?? Did you ever learn or master that one?? Your Unc. Cec. is (was) a maniac on skates. Use to dance and everything on them. Don't know if he still can or not. I haven't been in a pair in a long time. Use to love skating.. Probably break something now if I fell. Either a bone, or the floor!!!LOLLOL... Hey, was that red shirt the one that said "Super Chick" on the front, or was that a different one???

Netter said...

I used to be able to skate backward, but I was never super great at it. I tried it the last time I skated and had some issues, I think I just need to practice again. Nope Mom, the super chick shirt was white with red sleeves, its the one I had when my hair was really long. Look in the 8x10 class pictures.