Thursday, June 29, 2006

Don't you love it when that happens!

I received an apology yesterday from one of Sam's friends. It was very genuine and I really appreciated what he said to me and I made surehe knew that. He admitted that, once he thought about it, he agreed with my reasoning and was glad that I forced the issue.

Let me explain. Earlier this week, Sam took some of his pals out in the boat. Sam has his boating license and I do trust his driving. He isn't a risk taker, that helps too. Anyway, one day I noticed that they came in and they were not wearing their life vests. I had a talk with Sam about this later and told him that when they went out on the boat, they had to wear their vests at all time. We are on a bay and his boat is not very big when compared to some of the huge boats that fly through here. I have been with him in situations where a huge boat flew past us and the wake really gave us a fright. Another larger boat stopped to see if we were OK after the first boat caused large amounts of water to come over the top. It was really some ride. Once the guy found out we were OK, he went on a rampage at the nerve of the guy that swamped us. He said from were he was, he knew we took the right steps but the wake was so big and he had cut very close to us. Anyway....The point is, its the other guys that you have to look out for. Things can get a little crazy, especially with all the people on jet skies jumping wakes and flying like a bat out of hell.

Anyway, the next day when the guys came over again, they headed out to the boat and Sam grabbed the three life vests and the extra cushions just in case. I saw him hand everyone a vest and Sam and another boy put their vests on. One did not. He got in the boat and I could see Sam talking to him but the vest still didn't go on. I decided that I should step out on the deck to see what was being said. Eric had said he wasn't wearing the vest. I yelled across the yard and said (in a nice manner), "Eric you need to put on the vest if you are going out on the boat." He yelled back that he would just keep it by his feet to which I replied that he was either going to put it on and buckle it or he would not be going for a boat ride. He was sitting there refusing to do it. So I told him to step out of the boat and he could watch the guys from the bulk head or put it on and join in the fun. Still he refused so I explained the safety issues I had and explained it wasn't an option it was mandatory and he was either going to wear that vest or get out of the boat. He said no, I said to step out of the boat, he said no, I said, "step out or I will remove you myself" and I told him I had no problem dumping his rear in the bay, none at all. Plus I told him no matter how big and strong he was, that I was no match for him. Which is totally true. I have a ton of muscle under all this chunk. Well, he sat there for a little bit, mulling over what I had said and I think I made him nervous because I was smiling...Honestly, I was hoping he wouldn't give in so I could shove him overboard. Hehe...evil, I know!
I'm just glad that he said he was sorry for being a pain. The thing with teenagers is you can't let them start walking all over you or you are sunk. I'll take them to the movies, to friends houses, to Splish Splash, you name it...but if they start getting sassy, their butts are walking. Once they know that stuff doesn't float with me, they behave themselves...well for the most part. You know how it goes, all those raging hormones make them a little irrational. Kind of like me once a month...lol.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's a crappy job but someone's got to keep those teens in line. Now come over to my house, and give this son of mine a talking to!!

(Wow! Word verification is getting vindictive!)