Friday, February 10, 2006

Please! It's so sad, it makes me sick...


In my mind, religion is supposed to fuel the good in man. It is supposed to help us live our lives as more tolerant beings, more loving, more forgiving. Isn't the point of religion to make us better people? How many times have you met people that assume that people are good kind people because they are in Church every Sunday, without fail? But if you seriously think about it, just showing up doesn't earn you a one of God's golden tickets. He grades you on your conduct, not only in church but outside of its walls the other 6 days of the week. Plus, I think God is far more forgiving of our sins than we are of each others.
I was raised believing its not our place to judge other people, that is God's job. All we can do is live our lives in the best possible way we know how. That means taking those morals and values that were instilled in us and putting them to work. In this great country it also means being tolerant of others beliefs because after all, this country was founded on religious freedom for ALL. Perhaps that is why I get so upset when I hear about people of faith, causing pain to others. There is to much hate in this world, to much misunderstanding, to much intolerance. Instead of reaching out in kindness and trying to make a difference in the world, people show up at funerals of veterans and protest (read the Header link to see what I am talking about) at a time of great sadness for the soldiers family and friends. It makes me sick.
You know, its kind of like this whole mess with the Muslims, burning the Danish Embassy over the comic book showing an image of Mohammad. I can understand their reasons for being upset. I just don't understand how that leads to setting buildings on fire and killing people. You can't tell me that all the Danish people had a roll in publishing that book. It's generalizing. You know, the Amish do not believe in pictures of God, and that is also the reason they do not allow pictures of themselves to be taken, because man is in the image of God. You don't see them kicking some tourists ass every time they snap a picture of them or setting fire to their cars.
I can only hope that when my life comes to an end, I'm standing in line and this is what I hear from the man in front of us, telling us where to go:
"Let's see, I see you burnt down the Danish Embassy and took part in the planning of a suicide bombing that killed 7 people.....please step to the down elevator. NEXT....OK, you protested at funerals and hated people in the name of the all mighty, step to the down elevator.....NEXT,....you rarely attended church services but have shown great faith and I see you befriended all of Gods children.....we've been waiting for you, step right through the pearly gates, you will find your loved ones waiting for you. NEXT!...."

I mean really!

No comments: