Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Man, I loved getting cards like this as a kid....

Remember getting the dime cards? This particular one was made by Hallmark. It was from my Grandma and Grandpa Slater. A buck worth of dimes, MAN! Do you have any idea how much candy that could have bought me? I'm sure it did too. I just slipped some dimes in there so you could get an idea of how exciting those cards were. Back in the 70's we could buy a crap load of those candy necklaces or a whole sack of those, white with colored speckled malted milk eggs. I loved those. Back then if someone gave you a dollar you thought you had died and gone to heaven. My Great Aunt Amelia lived in California and once and a while she would send me a card with a dollar or some change in it. We never saw her but I sure knew who she was. I thought she was the neatest person. Why the heck don't they make cards like this anymore? Probably because a kid would go, "What! One whole dollar, big deal!" Especially in this day and age, where parents hand their kids everything and wonder why they don't appreciate anything. Not all kids, I can think of a few that are an exception to that fact, but they have exceptional parents that spend a lot of time with them. I try to send all my friends kids a halloween card here or there with a buck for each kid so they can get a treat. After all, they all live to far away from my house to come trick or treating at my door. Plus, what are Auntie Netters for! Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting that card. I had forgotten all about them, but the pic brought back some nice memories.