Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Ok, so it hit a nerve..

I was looking through a catalog and found a framed print and I really liked what it had to say:
*****
"They may see the good you do
as self-serving.
Continue to do good.

They may see your generosity
as grandstanding.
Continue to be generous.

They may see your warm and
caring nature as a weakness.
Continue to be warm and caring.

For you see, in the end,
it is between you and God.
It was never between you and
them anyway.
*****
...I have been accused of being to generous, to kind. It had never occured to me that these could be bad things, yet that is how it was expressed to me.For a while after that, everytime I wanted to do something nice for someone...I'd start asking myself, "Why am I doing this for them? Is it for me or for them? Are people going to think I am after something?" The answer is always the same...."I do it because I want to, because the whim strikes me and it makes me feel good, puts a smile on thier face and that is payment enough." Why did I ever let some jerks make me feel bad for doing something out of the goodness of my heart. It's not like they ever refused anything I gave them (out of the goodness of my heart.) ..And, life moves on...

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I love that poem. It is so true. I may have to make a print of that for Danielle.

Netter said...

I know...I really liked that. It just goes to show, you have to do what you feel is right and not let people make judgement calls...only you know your heart.