Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Boater safety lecture

Ok, so I was a mean, mean, nanny today. Sam was going to take Eric and Adrian out for a boat ride. I was untying the boat but I wouldn't let go of the rope until Eric had his life vest buckled. Sam got snippy with me and said that it didn't really matter. I set his little ass straight by informing him that if he had an accident and someone got knocked out and was thrown from the boat. A life vest wouldn't do much good if it wasn't buckled. I said as soon as someone gets on that boat, he is responsible for their safety.
They left and a few minutes later I see the boys flying across the bay in the channel and Sam is standing up behind the wheel. Now, its not a high sided boat. If they hit drift wood they could be thrown off balance and he could end up overboard. I have told him many many times that he was not allowed to stand and drive that boat. I pulled out my cell phone, called him. I make him take his cell phone when he goes out so I can keep a tab on him. He didn't pick up on the first call, so I left a message, and then I called back a couple of minutes later....that is when I chewed him out. I told him I have no problem telling his Dad he has been jacking around and he will not be allowed to go out with out an adult anymore, whether he is the only one with a license or not...it doesn't matter. Safety is first. He wasn't very happy. I also told him that the next time he gets mouthy with me over life vests or anything that deals with safety...I WILL pull the key to the boat and he will not be going anywhere. He knows I don't bluff.
Wait until the next time he wants to go out. He doesn't know that I WILL be going with him until he earns back my trust on that boat. It's going to be a while.

No comments: