Friday, October 28, 2011

Want to meet our friend Katie?


Skippy likes to decorate for holidays. Sparky does too but not as much as Skippy does. You see, decorating takes a lot of energy and after a long day of kindergarten, Sparky only has time to grump and complain. The kid is exhausted. So, while Skippy and I stuffed the scarecrow that we named after our own Katie Leach, Sparky sat in a chair and tried to supervised. Sheesh that kid needed a nap. I finally had to tell her that she couldn't complain about our scarecrow not looking the way she wanted it to if she didn't help make it. That zipped her lips for about a minute. I also got a dirty look out of her but that I'm used to...silence, not so much.

Anyway, we wanted a scarecrow but we didn't have the clothing to make one. I ran over to the Salvation Army Store and found the jeans for $3.oo, which still had the tags on them and the shirt for $4.oo. It was more than I wanted to spend but the colors were fun for out fall decorating. I had purchased a burlap bag at the local flower nursery and a straw hat on sale at the craft store. I had a skinny board that I hammered into the bale of straw so the Scarecrow would sit up straight, then I cut a hole in the seat of the jeans so the board would act as a spine. I didn't paint the face on "Katie" until the following morning...because grumpy needed to go in the house and relax. She wouldn't go by herself...go figure. We attached the yarn hair with safety pins as well as the hat. I think she looks pretty good. We tossed on a few crows that we bought at the dollar store for added amusement.

I think she turned out great.

3 comments:

Elsie said...

Nice! She looks like one of those Englebreit people.

Andi said...

Really cute!

Netter said...

Thanks! We like her.