Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Wanna hear my pet peeve? Like you have a choice...

I don't mind going to the grocery store. I really don't, but there are several things that push me to my breaking point. I've mentioned a few of them before...like people ignoring the little old ladies that can't reach the top shelf. I always ask them if they need help when I see them struggling to grab something. I just want to smack people who pretend they don't see them because it will take a whole two seconds out of their life. I mean come on! Where are peoples manners?! Another thing that drives me nuts are the people that take a shopping cart to buy two things. I totally understand if their items are heavy, ok, fine...but if they are getting butter and toilet paper, why the hell do they need a cart? COME ON! Grab a basket, they are right by the door when you come in. You know why it drives me crazy, I'll tell you. These are the same people that leave the cart blocking the isle when they leave. They are way to lazy to push the cart back to the receptacle in the front of the store. Oh, I'm not done yet. This drives me friggin nuts...people who take the cart to their cars and when they have loaded their groceries in their vehicles, they leave the cart in the parking lot, usually blocking the car next to them, when the cart receptacle is 4 cars away. OMG! Now I kind of understand if its someone with a handicap or an elderly person that doesn't get around well...fine, or if the weather is bad and its a Mother with little kids. Fine, but push it to the center between the cars where it won't interfere with others. I really think it should be considered littering and there should be a fine for leaving your cart behind someone else's car.
Here are a few of the services I provided, free of charge, at our local grocery store:
1) When I park, I usually grab a cart or two and take it back to the store entrance, even though I won't be needing a cart and will be grabbing a basket. I leave the cart for someone in need.
2) When I enter the store, if I don't see any baskets by the main doors, I go to the customer service center and grab a few, keeping one for myself and leaving the rest at the main door. I have to head to the produce section anyway, so its not such a big deal and it saves someone else the trip.
3)I help elderly people, children or anyone that looks like they may need a helping hand to reach something or pick something up.
4) When checking out, I empty my goods on the conveyor belt and stack all the baskets under the front edge of the check out isle, where several others shoved their baskets and block the isle for people with cars.
5)I always place the conveyor belt dividing strip behind my purchase so the next person can start unloading their cart or basket right away. People are funny about that and are often afraid to put their stuff on the belt because our items may merge as the belt moves forward and narrows.
6) I don't just stand there and let the checker do all the bagging, especially when the store is crazy busy. I can bag and watch the screen for correct price scanning. It's not that hard. Plus the ladies always thank me for helping and it makes them smile.
7) When leaving the store, there is always a cart left behind my car. ALWAYS! Grrr! Instead of shoving it over for the next sucker to deal with, I put my groceries in the car and then take the cart to the receptacle. I've been known to grab another cart that is blocking an entire space while I'm at it. There is nothing worse then trying to pull into a spot, only to discover that there is a cart blocking the whole space. If I see someone walking to the store, I ask them if they need a cart. If so, I hand over the one I was going to put away.

See, not hard things to do...not hard at all.

10 comments:

~Michelle~ said...

Haha! I absolutely HATE the cart thing too...and I will sometimes grab them on my way in, also. I can't remember if I've had a "discussion" with someone regarding the fact they need to take their cart to the cart corral, but its certainly a possibility!

Kare said...

There's a special place in heaven for you, Nett.

Darlene said...

we have to pay for our carts up here - I think it's a guarantee that the cheap people will put their cart back to get their quarter or dollar (depending on the grocery store) If you don't get to the cart place to bring it back soon enough though, the homeless people will bombard you, wanting to 'help' you by relieving you of your cart.

Anonymous said...

You are just too thoughtful...and me too. We've became a lazy society and look where its gotten us. Be Proud to be Different. That's what I say.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya on the cart thing. Drives me nuts too! You need a special superhero cape or something. Here she comes to save the day!! Mighty Netter!

Netter said...

Michelle! Thank goodness, I'm not the only person annoyed with this! Drives me nuts. Seriously, it does. In my bitchy moments, I've made comments, but you know New Yorkers...they ignore you and pretend they can't hear you. You have to have them in a position where they can't escape you.

Darlene~ We have a grocery store like that by Sam's high school. I think they started the whole pay a quarter thing to keep the kids from stealing the carts and going for rides. The only problem is, paying a quarter doesn't help much. The carts are still all over the place and you still see their carts all over town.

Andi~ I totally agree with you. Plus, there is something to be said for manners. When Chris was a kid, I forced him to hold doors open for women and mother's with children in strollers. There is nothing worse than people not helping with a door when your hands are full. Another pet peeve....I should blog that.

Sue~ lol, I'd be afraid to wear the cape. I'd probably be attacked from behind by all those people I give dirty looks to at the grocery store when I think they are being rude and lazy....lol. They'd grab the cape, toss it over my head and beat the crap out of me with canned foods.

Lucy said...

Hey Nett...I hear Dr. Phil is having a show on people like you...just kidding! I do the opposite of the shopping cart for two items...I go in thinking I'm only going to buy two items and end up with a arm load...and no cart!

Tami said...

Now I know why we're friends - we're both anal retentive. Luckily, about different things! The cart situation isn't so bad here - at least if they're left out, they're in the middle of the cars instead of blocking them.

Netter said...

lol. Lucy~ I do the same thing. I always walk around with a basket that is overflowing and heavy as sin. The ladies at the check out isles laugh at me. I just tell them I needed some exercise anyway.

Tami~ Me? Anal Retentive? Huh, wha! lol...Ok, sometimes.

Kissiffer said...

The last time I set foot in a grocery store a lady standing in line dropped a jar of pasta sauce, splattered some guys trousers and legged it out of the store! That's how we do it in NYC ;)