Friday, April 18, 2008

Why I'm tired and cranky today...


I had trouble falling to sleep last night. I couldn't get comfy. That is NOT why I'm cranky this morning though. I finally drifted off to sleepy-bye and was jarred out of my peaceful slumber at 4:15 AM when my cell phone started to ring. I don't know about you, but when the phone rings in the middle of the night like that, my initial response is to panic. I grab the phone and without even looking to see who it is, I answer it. The first words I hear are "Annette, I'm so sorry I had to wake you up." OK, interesting, she had my attention. It was Emily. She had 6AM flight from LaGuardia Airport. She continued..."We're lost in the City and don't know how to get to LaGuardia." OK...OK, these things happen. So I ask, "Exactly where are you?" Because I figure she's up in the Flushing area. She says, "Lexington Avenue. We paid a toll and went through a tunnel." At that point...my mind starts to whirl....I couldn't have heard her right. She continues, "Should we turn around and go back through the tunnel?"

Grrr...lol, I still can't figure out how they drove right by The AIRPORT and missed it. I mean it, they drove right past it. All they had to do is take the exit to the right when they saw the signs that said LGA Airport. But for some reason they didn't see the signs....the signs that are on every major sign post over the Grand Central while you are driving on it.

So, I get out of bed, go to the computer to look at a Map so I can give them precise directions back. I remember saying, "What did you guys do?!" She said, "Well we got on the LIE (495) and everything like we were supposed to and we followed the directions that Christina printed out online. But we just kept seeing signs for JFK and I kept saying, but we are not going to JFK." Anyway, while I'm logging on to the computer, Christina had pulled over and asked a Cab driver how to get to LaGuardia. He said to follow him because that was where he was heading. Which was so nice...but now I have to go back to sleep. I'm tired, I curl up in my bed that isn't warm anymore and I can't go back to sleep. Nope, my mind is racing and I'm keyed up. I finally had to call Emily, just before 5AM to make sure that she actually got to LGA. She had and was in the security line...so I let her go but she called me back from her connection in Denver. We chatted for a little bit, she apologized for waking me up again... then she had to go.

After I hung up, it finally came to me. Those dingbats were never on the Grand Central at all...they had remained on the Long Island Express Way the entire way to the Midtown Tunnel into Manhattan. They never took the Cross Island or any of the other Parkways up to the Grand Central. So they never went past LaGuardia at all. For Pete sake! So the last time I looked at the clock it was 5:20 AM and I had to get up at 6:30 AM. See why I'm tired and cranky. I would have been better off if I actually picked up Emily and took her to the Airport myself.

8 comments:

Renna said...

Never having been anywhwere near NYC, or the state either, for that matter, that was all Greek to me! ;-Þ

I hope you get a chance for a nap today. :-)

Netter said...

Reena, I'm telling you...when Em said she was on Lexington Ave, I couldn't figure out why they would have even gone through the tunnel. She's been to the airport 3 times prior to this and had to know they didn't pay a toll before. I'm chalking it up to the early morning.

Kissiffer said...

Nette, that has to be one of the funniest things I have read in a long, long time. Well, sorry you had to wake up so early and all that, but it was worth it to get the story! I got lost once, in DC...well and Nebraska...and erm, I guess Texas too. Texas was the worst. Big freakin' motorways.

Netter said...

Chris~ I hope you don't mind, but I gave Emily your number so she can call you the next time she gets lost. You know, since you got such a kick out of it. lol...No, I wouldn't do that to you. Well, only because Raine would kill me.

.:Cris:. said...

LOL We both had wacky mornings. I was woke up by my bed shaking beneath me somewhere around 5:30 this morning... earthquake! We dont get them very often so it was this big ta-do.

Hope you're feeling less grumpy ;)

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Yep, that would make you cranky!

Anonymous said...

Aye Oye! That looks complicated.

Anonymous said...

Yup, that's what happens in NYC, you take one wrong turn, get spit through a tunnel and end up in another borough. You are a very good friend. :o)