Wednesday, February 14, 2007

WHAT! No it doesn't!


So one of my few single friends called me and totally bummed me out. She hates Valentine's Day when she isn't with someone. She spent 10 minutes moaning and bitching about how its a terrible holiday and that it makes her depressed because all of her married or taken friends got to do fun/ romantic stuff with their significant others. Well, I hated to do it, but someone had to tell her to snap out of it. Valentine's Day is not just a day for lovers...I told her....its a day for love, a day for you to do what we don't always do. It's a day to wish everyone we care about a wonderful day and to tell people that we love them. Some people don't do that enough. I said, its not a day for you to sit around feeling sorry for yourself. Its a day where you get to tell your parents, your siblings, your nieces or nephews, your best friends, your children, your pets.....that they are special and that you care about them. I mean really! She is one of those people that would have called me to gloat if she was with someone for Valentine's Day. She's done it before. This year she is alone and she is ragging about it to me, of all people. I think she thought I would join in on her glum fest...but I embrace a different train of thought than she does. I said, I love you kiddo but you need to get a grip. A boyfriend doesn't make you complete, they don't make the world a perfect place. You have to stop getting angry over holidays you spend alone and over weddings that aren't yours. Find the beauty in the world and it will be a happier place for you to experience.
Is it just me or is Valentine's Day not a selfish holiday, its a holiday to be shared. Who cares if your neighbor got a diamond heart necklace and you didn't. Who cares if your roommate got more cards than you did. Who cares if it seems like everyone you know is having a romantic dinner tonight. You have to make the most of your Valentine's Day. Life is to short to sit around eating sour grapes by yourself when their are sweet grapes to be shared...so to speak.

5 comments:

Tami said...

If she does find someone and wants to continue to have romantic dates with them on V Day - then advise her not to get married and have kids. John & I haven't done anything for Valentine's Day since Hayden was born.

Desperate Housewife said...

She sounds like she needs some chocolate.

aj said...

Netter, your post today is AWESOME! I'm so tired of people ragging on this holiday and acting like your friend.

I agree - it IS a day to celebrate love to EVERYONE special in your life.

Happy Valentine's Day! ♥

Darlene said...

I agree with dh.

Have a happy day, nett!

Anonymous said...

Well it's not all roses and chocolates when you get hitched either (like Tami pointed out). We don't have kids but my husband is away on business so this was the 1st Vday we spent apart since got engaged. I still spent it with my beloved munchkin kitties, cuddling and watching the first season of Grey's Anatomy on DVD. And believe me, it's much worse to be alone on Christmas.