Thursday, June 22, 2006

Christmas ornaments in June


Everyone knows I love Christmas ornaments...and i love making almost as much as I love receiving them. I was reading Sue's site and discovered Sara's contest and knew I had to enter. so here it goes..

This is one of my ornaments that I made for last years annual Christmas ornament exchange. My snowmen are made with measuring spoons and represent each of the family members of the person I made the ornament for. Daddy Jeff is the tablespoon, Momma Shari is the teaspoon and the kids are the smaller half and quarter teaspoons...Emily who is the oldest and Katie who is the baby of the family. If there are more kids you just have to use double quarter or half teaspoons...depending on the age of the children. I turned the teaspoons upside down and spray painted them all a nice matte white. Once the are dry I painted on a carrot nose and coal eyes and mouth. I then put a little fake snow on the tops and bottoms to give it a textured look, like it was had drifted on their heads. They sparkle when you see them in person and especially on a tree. I also labeled the spoons with the persons name and then glued them so they would stay spread apart when hanging on the tree. A bow was added for a splash of color. I have to admit this is one of my favorite ornaments that I ever made....basically because it was idea from start to finish. I had a bunch of extra teaspoons that I bought for a wind chime project that I had not worked on yet, when this popped into my head. You can get the spoon sets at dollar stores or Wal-Mart for $.99 or less a set. I actually had all the other supplies so I didn't have to purchase anything extra. I have other ornaments that I have made over the years listed on my craft site.... visit http://netterscraftyideas.blogspot.com/ and scroll to the bottom of the page.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are just sweet. I have a whole Christmas tree that is just snowmen. My other tree is all toy ones. Gonna have to make me some one day soon.

Netter said...

Thanks ladies! I actually thought the were pretty cute too. Well, it was last years great idea, anyway.

Christy said...

What a great idea!!! So cute too!!

King OSirLucas said...

Okay Okay... so yer nifty... still fishing for comments on how awesome you REALLY ARE?
OSirLucas

Netter said...

Thanks Maria!

As for Lucus...thanks for the vote...but I'm not fishing for anything...sheesh.