Thursday, May 18, 2006

I completely remember that day.

I was just barely 5 years old in this picture. It was taken at the south park in Pawnee City Nebraska. Shortly after this, Uncle Randy came to live with us....Because he was in the high school when I was in kindergarten. Anyway, please note that I cute out Uncle Richard and his wife Cheryl on the left and Uncle Cecil on the right, that is why the picture looks squashed. So, we are left with My parents, Allen and Millie, My maternal grandparents, Virgil and Martha (Martha just had her 90th b-day in April~remember) And that is my little sister, Tisha.
Why that day sticks out in my mind so clearly, I have no idea. I remember feeling shy, I guess that explains the strange smile and why my head is tilted down. It was really humid out too and I really wanted to go play. We are wearing outfits that my Mom made us. I think I even picked out the fabric....maybe not.
That was back when Grandpa was nice and fluffy....lol, I liked him heavy. Actually, I preferred all my Grandparents at their chunkier stages. I'm not sure why, maybe because they were more comfy to snuggle up to. When Grandpa Virgil passed away in 1987, he was a thin from his prolonged illness. I do remember that, but in my mind, he will always be plump and fighting with Great Uncle Ray over cards, telling jokes, sitting in HIS chair that my sister now has at her house. I can still see his hands dealing cards out and keeping score. I can see him in his stripped bibby overalls. Sometimes I can still remember the sound of his voice.
Grandma is still alive but her mind is going...slowly going. I'm not upset that she didn't really know who I was last time I visited. That isn't the important thing....what is important is that she was happy. My memories of her are rooted somewhere else. I can see her in the kitchen, cooking up something, walking back and forth between the kitchen and dining room setting the table. She had that Bohemian polka music on....Bob Blecha and the Bouncing Czechs were probably on. If she wasn't the shuffling cook she was playing cards or brewing up some coffee for guests. I still remember the day she gave me my memory box....well, it was to be used as a jewelry box, but I have since turned it into a place to keep special treasures.
Most of all, I remember us sitting in the front yard on nice evenings, on folding chairs...chatting the evening away. People would drive by and wave, that is what they do in small towns.
If I could rewind time....and live my life over starting at any age I wanted....it would be shortly before this picture was taken. Maybe even before Tisha was born. Those were good times. I remember sleeping in the car with my head on Mom's lap and my feet on Dads lap while he drove us home from our Sunday meals at Grandma and Grandpa Kaster's house. I remember the day Tisha was born....looking in the window at her with Dad and Grandpa Slater, thinking to myself, "THAT is my new baby sister!" She was so pink and not at all like the baby dolls I had. I wasn't allowed to go see Mom but Dad and Grandpa took me around to the side of the hospital and I got to see her through the window, she smiled and waved at me. Yep, if I could turn back the hands of time, I would start there.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great memories! You sure were a little cutie!

Netter said...

lol, I know, I was a little cutie, I'm not sure what happened...lol. I was a handful though. I'm suprised my Mother didn't have a breakdown with me running around...but, she did like my Father and he has ALWAYS been a handful, so she must like that kind of thing.

Anonymous said...

Nice family picture. I never relized how much Tisha looked s like your mom did. I remember your Grandpa just the way you described him. I can see him in his striped coverall, He was nice guy.

Netter said...

Actually, Tisha looks a lot like Grandma Slater did when she got married.

You know, you are right...Grandpa Virgil was a nice guy.

Cindy said...

Awwwww what a cute picture. Love your dads hair.

Netter said...

Hey, it was the 70's and he was a cool guy. I bet he wishes he still had all that hair.