Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The Great Wringer debate....


Earlier this morning I was doing some laundry when I found my mind wandering...as it often does...and before long I was laughing to myself. True this could be a sign of insanity and with a family tree like mine, I was bound to be a little nutty. Seriously though, I was remembering a little family debate, a mysterious happening that I'll never really be able to prove or disprove. If you knew my family, you would completely understand that statement, no need to question it.
At this point you may be asking yourself, why does she have a picture of a wringer washing machine on this blog. Well that my friends, is the center of the great debate. Here is how it all got started. I was at Grandma Kaster's house. I'm not sure what led up to my Pop coming out with this statment but he said, "...like the time you got your Tit caught in the wringer." This simple little statement set off an interesting chain of events. My Grandmother went off...bells were ringing, whistles blowing, steam was coming out her ears, her arms were waving around in the air, her eyes were wide and wild, as she stammered and said, "No, no, no, my shirt got caught, not my tit." To which my Pop replied that she was not telling the truth and she knew it. After a while the subject was dropped but that is the kind of topic that sticks in your mind.
After Grandma's over reaction and obvious embarrassment, it made you wonder why she got so worked up so quickly. Hmmm, maybe Pop was telling the truth. It was always hard to tell with him, after all, he's a gifted bull shit artist. If you don't believe me...ask Cousin Cindy to tell you about the gummy worm/ master angler award story. Anyway, I asked Pop if it were true. Pop told me that she had been doing some laundry and running the clothes through the wringer when she got too close and it caught her shirt and pulled her right it to it, thus catching her Tit in the wringer. He swore that it was true and that I should ask my Uncle Jimmy about it because he was there to hear her yelling and had to help her get out of it. So, I asked Uncle Jim and he backed up the story. I still wasn't convinced. Why is that? Well I know my family... either Jim was telling the truth, or Jim knew a good story when he heard one and went along with it for fun, or my Pop had already gotten to him and had him going along with him. Hmmmm!
That is when I went to Grandma. I asked her if it was true. Her reply was this, "No, no, no, OH, that Allen! (Allen is my Pop and her 3rd oldest child out of 8 kids) It was my shirt, I caught my shirt!" This was followed by some grumbling under her breath and an aggravated look on her face. What I really needed was a creditable witness, a third party that could be trusted. Unfortunately this all happened way before my Mom was in the picture. When I don't believe Pop, I usually try to see what Mom says about a given subject. Mom isn't a bull slinger. For example, when Pop was telling me the story about my Brother-in-law buying 3, 450-500 pound live bears, I didn't believe him until Mom got on the phone and backed up the story. A lot of my Pop's stories are true, some are not, you just have to figure out which is which. That isn't such an easy task. My Pop was a wild thing in his younger years (more like insane), which explains why he is such a handful in his golden years.
Whether the story is true or not, I got a great little saying out of it. Whenever anyone is being careless or just not paying attention to what they are doing, I like to say, "Careful, Don't get your tit caught in a wringer." Yeah is vulgar, but it gets their attention.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Yeah he got me good. I think we all owe him just wait until he is a bit older.

Netter said...

Well thats not a fair fight if you wait until my Dad is old and forgetful. You have to try to get him now.