Monday, November 14, 2005

What the!

I was sitting in the Lazyboy recliner, reading my book at the Leaches after we returned from our trip to visit Katie at college. I heard sirens and I glanced out the porch door toward the street and back to my book. After a couple of minutes I smelled something strange. I glanced back out the porch door and that is when I said, "Holy crap, Jean, look at all the smoke." It looked completely foggy. I realized the smell I had noticed was the smell of burning wood. We went out on the porch and we could tell that the smoke was coming from the south and slightly east of the house. We knew it had to be a big fire with the amount of smoke that was drifting through the neighborhood. Last night on the news I found out that the old Foodtown Grocery store that was no longer open was engulfed in flames and that there were over 200 firefighters fighting that blaze. They had been trying to contain the flames for over 7 hours. Holy crap. I'm just glad it wasn't a home or a running business and that nobody got hurt.

1 comment:

cityman05 said...

I'm glad no one was hurt. We have a lot of fires around here in the summer time. Actually one of our firemens houses burnt this summer.

I remember the year that the candle store burned down, too. We all stood around it and sang happy birthday.