Tuesday, August 30, 2005

I remember....and they were so much fun...

When I was a kid, we used to have a ton of games that were very simple in nature. I loved them! For example, Jacks...you know the little sucker to the left that came with a hand full of jacks and a little pink rubber ball. Oh, the fun I had with those things. I got pretty good at scooping up jacks and catching the ball before it hit the ground again. The only down side to jacks was dropping them in the carpet. Those suckers hurt if you stepped on them barefooted.
Pick up Sticks came into our dinner discussion over the weekend. I loved them as well as Jim and our waitress. They were a lot of fun. You didn't need a partner, you could play it by yourself. What a perfect idea...colored sticks that you get points for picking up as long as the other sticks don't move when you do so. Perfect. I also use to love to jump rope, skip with my Lemon Twist, play with paddle balls,marbles, lawn darts, oh how the list grows. I really feel sorry for kids that don't know how to play with things that don't take electricity or computer chips. I could have kicked a can for hours, we bounced on inflated tracter tubes that were inflated for us. LOL, that just reminded me of the time Amy's dog mounted Nicole's back after she fell over the tube andthe dog started humping her. We were laughing so hard that we couldn't even help poor Nicole. Hey, if you had seen Nic's face, you would have laughed too. We could have played balloon volleyball for hours on end or until the balloon popped. I really think the simple toys are the best. Oh man, and who could forget the fun you could have with cardboard boxes. With one fridge box you could have a fort big enough for your whole family to fit into. Ah, good times! Do you remember any simple games that you liked to play with?

7 comments:

Chelie said...

yahtzee...You didn't even need that pad of paper...you could just guess what you needed to get.

Cindy said...

I loved jacks. Especially when you got to the over the fence stage. Kick the can was fun and so was red rover and statue maker. We also played tackle football with the neighborhood boys. What great fun. One time I clotheslined this kid who was picking on Mike. I never knew feet could fly so high in the air.

Anonymous said...

We played cards mostly with Grandma & Grandpa - even though Grandpa was a cheat! The best summer was when we were building the machine shed before they put up the metal siding - it made a great pirate ship! Avast ye landlubbers!

Netter said...

Red rover, Red Rover, send Cindy right over.....I love that game. An Annie, Annie, Over. Fun! Any form of tag worked. Kick ball...oh yeah! Four square, Oh wait...chinese jumprope. Who knew that elastic could prove to be so much fun.

Netter said...

Hehehehe....Landlubbers!

Kimberly said...

I loved Chinese Jumprope!!! Oh yeah, and that four square game - I was pretty rockin' at that - hehe

Netter said...

Do you know what I loved? Tetherball..... http://www.toteth.com/
I kicked butt at that game.