Tuesday, May 17, 2005

I found a penny...

....and I picked it up, but didn't get any good luck... What the Hell!

I was outside the local Home Depo, and I saw a penny on the ground. Thinking "Hmmmm, well, it can't hurt" I picked the penny up, in the hope that all day long it would bring me good luck... except that it never showed up. Is that really fair?
OK, so maybe pennies and luck have a life of 2 "finds"...maybe when they say "then all day" they really mean "until it just stops working" and maybe the whole idea of a random penny someone dropped giving you good luck is just bull shit quite frankly. But I don't think so. I'm still a believer. I guess it's just "find the right pennies, pick 'em up, and THEN all day long you'll have good luck". I think its like winning the lottery or something. I bet that little jingle is so old that it referred to wheat pennies and it doesn't work on the newer ones.

Come to think of it, why isn't it "find a nickel"? Or "find a half-dollar"? I guess there's something about pennies that are so simple -- valued at one cent, the lowest possible value of money that brings good luck. Or maybe it's just a way to get people to pick up pennies. Seriously, people tend to drop pennies all the time...and I guess if you don't pick them up, they would be everywhere. Right?

There must be other rules to this whole process that they didn't put in the little jingle, perhaps due to the length of the song once they were all listed. People wouldn't bother with it if it became to complicate. Granted, I do follow the "heads" up rule. You know, "Don't pick it up if its 'tails' up" because that is bad luck. Yes, BAD luck, like free money could ever be bad luck. I don't remember who it was but years ago someone use to say you should never leave a penny on the ground. It could be that particular penny that keeps you from being a millionaire. I don't think I have to worry about that but its an interesting theory.

I always pause before picking up pennies off the ground. I debate whether it is worth it. You see, when I was a kid, one of the Smith boys use to drop change down the front of their pants, rub it around, and then toss it on the sidewalk and in the parking lot. I was completely grossed out by this. Unfortunately, I always think of Rusty when I see coins on the ground and it takes me back to the good old 70's. What an interesting way to become embedded in someone's memory, huh. So, beware people, because who the hell knows if an adult Rusty is up to his old tricks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only do I pick up heads up pennies, but I also turn over upside down ones so that someone else might have good luck! I am a believer, too, alas, and picked a penny up yesterday--if I pass Astro we'll know it's worked!

Netter said...

Raine, Raine, Raine, you are sooooo going to pass...that penny is going to work for you.