Saturday, April 30, 2005

Growing like weeds...

I was picking up Sam from baseball practice and noticed a ton of dandelions growing near the parking area. Just seeing those warm yellow blossoms made me chuckle. It brought to mind a silly thing that we use to do to people not in the "know." You held a dandelion up to their face and said some kind of silly little saying that I can't remember right now, then you quickly rubbed the dandelion on their cheek. The result was a nice dark yellow streak on their face. Did that saying have something to do with liking butter? Hmmmm, I really can't remember. I am sure I will think of it when I least expect it but for now it is driving me crazy.

We also use to make wreaths to wear as a crown. That was when we didn't equate dandelions with weeds. We just thought they were pretty flowers. Remember picking them for your Mother or the neighbor lady and feeling like you just did the nicest thing in the world? I also loved when they started to go to seed. You had to pick the white fluffy dandelion and manage to get it to your lips before any of the fluff started to blow away in the wind. The wish wasn't any good if you had fluff blowing away before you made your wish and blew the seeds all over your yard and your neighbors too. Hey, it insured that you would be able to pick more pretty yellow "flowers" in the future. To tell you the truth, I still like blowing those wishes all over the neighbor hood if I get the chance. I just try to do it in someone elses neighborhood.

OK, in their defense, dandelions are not really weeds. They are wild vegetables. According to the USDA, dandelions are more nutritious than broccoli and spinach. They may taste bitter, but if harvested and cooked correctly, they can be delisious. All parts of the dandelion are useable. The leaves for greens, the blossoms for wines and jelly, and the roots for coffee. It has been said that they are also medically helpful: as a diuretic, to cut fat, to reduce fat, for kidney stones, cancer, diabetes, to cleanse the blood, for weight reduction, for vision, for your skin and acne, for bowel function, to lower blood pressure and serum cholesterol, and for anemia. In Mythology, Hectate fed Theseus dandelions for 30 days so he would become powerful enough to defeat the Minotaur. See, its powerful stuff.

Interesting huh. I'll stop buy and make some wishes so you and your neighbors can enjoy the lovely veggies too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I finally figured this thing out.
The one thing we use to do with Dandilions was you broke of part of the stem and you had a friend hide it some plac on their body and you had to find it . YOu would ask them to check their mouth and then you would shove it in their mouth. Mean.

Anonymous said...

Another dandylion story; you forgot to add what you say everytime we go by that restaurant on Old Country Road...you know the place that is called "Dandylion"?

Netter said...

Oh yeah, My cousins daughter is named Danielle Lyons...Dani for short...Dani Lyons...get it Dandylions. That is the story.

Anonymous said...

Okay...but tell it with a little enthusiam next time!

Netter said...

It's one of those stories that you kind of have to experience to fully appreciate it. What were you doing up at 3:20 AM? Holly crap, you could have called me. I was up too.